Acoustic levitation

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi everyone

i'm new to this forum thing so please bear with me if I've posted in the wrong section.....

I would like to know if anyone as every tried acoustic levitation ... if so could someone please help explain the terminology to me? and is it possible with a 1400w pioneer car sub that can reach 20Hz with a 900w Calibra Amp powered by a PSU capable of giving enough amps ?

heres some links :

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acoustic_levitation
HowStuffWorks "How Acoustic Levitation Works"

I would like to construct a budget version for a science exihibit for the A.A.S.C {All Africa Student Convention}! {I would really appreciate any effort!!!} :D

Thanx :cheers:
Ray

The frequencies used in these experiments are ultrasonic (above the human hearing range). Your speaker is not the type of speaker that would be suitable for this experiment. A compression driver (like the kind used in pro audio with horns) might work. I encourage you to continue your work on this project, it is a interesting experiment and would be an impressive demonstration.

-David

There's this great illustration in F.Alton Everest's Master handbook of Acoustics:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

- the text only notes it's a Galton whistle, and a second closeup shows the cork slivers at about 1/2" apart, indicating operation at 30Khz. That pressure gauge shows 100PSI at the whistle though - looks like a demo will need a lot of power!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.