How better is a DIY project than an argument? (Exercising Some Control)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I started this thread so I'd have somewhere to post that wasn't just one of the points of obvious contention.

I guess not at all judging by the number of views the recent thread about Bybee Music Rails has got, probably passed 2000, by the time I post this. I'm making an effort not to look at these threads, but I had a mild relapse there.

Here we have the usual suspects contributing irrelevancies to the mix:-

The guy working with Jack on the project is a multiple degreed engineer-physicist (not me) who designs microwave IC's at the moment, for a living. Used to work at HP, big-time.

Must think he's going to make enough money that he can afford to sacrifice any reputation and prospect for respectable future employment he's got then.

It doesn't really say a lot for JC's thought processes if he's impressed by stuff like that. It doesn't really say a lot for his view of our thought processes if he thinks we're going to be impressed by it.

Not that he isn't justified in his view financially, if not morally, because there are certainly enough people who fall for this line to keep the dollars rolling in.

I mean, I get a bit bored, just like the next guy, and there's a temptation to jump into these threads (again and again), because they afford an opportunity to talk about something, but looking at some of the things I've written, they're not always to be proud of, and it's not even as if they're changing anything, the best I can say is that sometimes I'm pretty funny.

I do notice though, that many of the posters are pretty light on any other contributions, although to be fair, some show an understanding of electronics that is hard to equate with their apparent lack of responsibility. 'Not quite in the same league as Teller and the H-bomb' isn't exactly a recommendation.

Mostly though, just a bunch of people rehearsing their positions over and over again. The believers and the sceptics, because to my eyes, that's the way it splits. Tubes vs. SS, turntables vs. CDs, 24/192 vs. 16/44k1. So, as I said, I'm making the effort to stay out of those threads. Hell, you can get in an argument here just trying to be helpful.

Roy Harper said:
I've got a dog he's like a two ton frog
I call him some control
Yesterday I took him for his walkies in the park
He's a beautiful thundering soul
At first he never took a fancy
To any one passing by
'til a big fat cop came into his sights and he had to know the reason why
So he took his little piece out of the gentleman's leg
And the gentleman was sore surprised
So limping up to me
He whispered quietly
WHAT ARE YOU PLAYIN' AT?
I'm exercising some control, I said - exercising some control.

w

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.