Harman "How to Listen" Available!! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th April 2011, 04:02 AM   #1
cuibono is offline cuibono  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Harman "How to Listen" Available!!

I can't believe no one has talked about this here yet - I'm a month late, but apparently so is everyone else. I've been waiting for this for over a year:

Audio Musings by Sean Olive: Version 2.04 of Harman How to Listen Now Available For Download!

Sean Olive, who I got to meet recently, is really dedicated to developing quality audio equipment and the understanding of 'what matters' in the world of sound reproduction. (See Floyd Toole's book 'Sound Reproduction' for the good stuff). Harman, probably at Sean's prodding, has agreed to release a piece of software they use to train listeners in how to identify flaws in audio reproduction. I haven't even downloaded it yet, but it looks amazing.

I'm sure people here will find it a very useful tool!
Old 10th April 2011, 05:05 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuibono View Post
I haven't even downloaded it yet, but it looks amazing.

I'm sure people here will find it a very useful tool!
It is quite interesting. Downloaded it a few days ago. Only had a limited bit of playing with it so far. I'll say I scored reasonably well, of course not as well as I'd thought I would! (just in the first batch of EQ sessions)

I've played with EQ's in the past, but never in quite this way, or to this extent...

seems useful that "listeners" could be trained such that you could readily and clearly communicate what is heard with some common reference points and reasonable amount of understanding. (?)

at a minimum it's seems to be reasonably good exercise in understanding our own perception of how we hear (at least in terms of the frequency response stuff I played with so far in the application) I think it's worth a little more time to listen and test myself...
Old 10th April 2011, 07:24 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks...... let me Read it... evaluate it before i say.... but sounds interesting
Old 11th April 2011, 07:20 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hey I checked the tool. As per my understanding this tool helps you to check and teach you to differentiate between the differentiate between different frequencies, noise,and others present in audio file. so this is really good for a newbie.

I would recommend to listen this using quality headphone or on good home system. ( not on laptop speakers).

Hide this!Advertise here!