2 ch stereo to 2ch mono.....?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is there an easy way to convert 2 ch stereo to 2 ch mono like the option on some amps and receivers?

The reason I ask is because I'm in the process of balancing out my sys and need the exact same siginal fed to both speakers to fine tune it.

Yes, I know, just feed a mono siginal to them.
However there are program contents that iI want to use that is only avalible in stereo. I like to use specefic program content as one tool to set up a sys becase I'm very familiar with exactly how they are supposed to sound.

Last edited:
The time honoured method is to use a summing amp or the guts of a mixer. If you have some good opamps handy, you'll need at least one as a buffer with both channels fed to the input. If you want to vary the balance, you'll need at least 3 with each input getting it's own opamp buffer both going into a the last opamp buffer. It helps to know the output impedance of your source and the input impedance of your amp to match.

If your source is digital and you can mess around in a computer, there are programs that can digitally sum the two into mono.

:)ensen.

........If your source is digital and you can mess around in a computer, there are programs that can digitally sum the two into mono.

Of course!

I got just the program that can do that. Even good ol' Winamp can convert an audio file into a mono wav and from there, it's a simple step to convert it into the audio file of choice with various programs.

Sometimes, this old brain of mine needs a swift kick in the frontal lobes to get it going.

Thanks

Last edited:
Or you could use a digital audio editor to make a mono signal source whether it be noise, tones or mono mix of music. I know this can be done in CoolEdit / Audition. I believe it can be done in Audacity though I don't use it myself. This would certainly be the cheapest and quickest way to get a mono mix - assuming Audacity can do this - and burn yourself a CD. I make test discs frequently for calibrating, tuning, measuring or whatever you like.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.