SY's Big Announcement

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'd been keeping these discussions under wraps, but today seems like the right time to make this public.

Santa Fe, NM 4/1/2011

Stereophile Expands Staff; Adds Prominent Scientist

Stereophile is pleased to announce the appointment of Stuart Yaniger as Contributing Editor. "We have greatly enjoyed Stuart's witty and literate approach to audio and are delighted that he has agreed to join the Stereophile team," said editor John Atkinson. "We believe that Dr. Yaniger's contrarian views will provide a lively and entertaining counterpoint to the general opinions and viewpoints of our current staff," Atkinson continued. "He has a particularly direct way of cutting to the core of technological controversy that will delight, infuriate, and provoke our readers. His credibility in the scientific community, combined with a data-driven approach to tipping sacred cows will strengthen Stereophile's reputation for honest, thorough, credible, and reliable journalism."

Yaniger, a scientist based in Austin, Texas, has had over 40 years of experience in music and audio, both in performance and reproduction. He has written for AudioXpress, Linear Audio, and several Internet sites. His focus at Stereophile will be technology, design, testing, and detailed analysis of audio fundamentals. Yaniger is a member of the Audio Engineering Society, the Association for Psychological Science, and the Society of Plastics Engineers.

Nice try, Stuart! Do the moderators cast lots each year to see whose turn it is to write the April announcement?

The last time I did this, it was on a wine forum where I took particular delight in slagging the guy who covered the Rhone Valley for Wine Spectator (not to mention my general disparagement of the magazine and aspersions as to the marital status of the parents of several of the editors). The "announcement" had me appointed as their new Rhone reporter. Within an hour, I got an email from the organizer of a major US wine festival congratulating me on my new position and offering to pay my expenses to attend this expensive event as their honored guest. After cleaning up my desk from a sprayed drink, I wrote her back, gently suggesting that she check the dateline. She responded somewhat sheepishly, "Ooops." :D

My next question to her was, "Can I still attend gratis?" Class act that she was, she actually agreed to that!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.