A DIY acronym Data-base/'Sticky' thread?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
An idea perhaps for a "sticky" thread.................How about an acronym data-base, file base for the DIY community. I ran across an acronym just now.....can't seem to nail it down....A BIB?? Each acronym could be broken down according to its point of interest....'Full-rangers, Tubes, Solid-state" each according to its application. This would make things a lot easier, helpful and we would all learn more.

____________________________________________________________Rick...

Sounds like a good idea to me. Your BIB made me think of ‘PRaT’ I would see it from time to time here at diyAudio but was clueless. Found it at TNT-audio after a google search –

PRaT:

1. Pace, Rhythm and Timing
2. could have been: Pitch, Rhythm and Timing
3. could also have been: Pace, Rhythm and Tune
4. but never Pitch Rhythm and Tune, to my knowledge

PRaT pace pitch rhythm timing tunes PRaT - [English]

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Start one, we can make it sticky. If we don't watch out this is it :)

DIY = Do It Yourself
BIB = Bigger Is Better. Tapped Conical Pipe/Horn, Usually associated with FR
FR = Full Range. 1-way speaker systems
FR = Frequency Response
ML-TL = Mass Loaded Transmission Line

low bass: 20-40Hz
midbass: 40-80Hz
upper bass: 80-160 Hz
lower mid: 160-320Hz
mids: 320-1280 Hz (2 octaves)
upper mids: 1250-2.5k
lower treble: 2.5k-5k
mid treble: 5000-10k
upper treble:10-20k

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
wow Dave those figures for bass are very different to what I had in my head! I often see 5" or 6" drivers reffered to as MidBass units. I'd always thought midbass was in the 100-800 Hz range, and mids in the 800- 2000 range.... Live and learn! :)

Tony.

I find myself explaining these ones , over and over...

OPS - output stage
IPS - input stage
OP - output
VAS/VS - voltage stage or voltage amplification stage

CM - current mirror
CSS - constant current source

TMC - transitional miller compensation
CMC - conventional miller compensation
TPC - two-pole compensation

EF (2/3) emitter follower (2-stage or triple)
PS - power supply

I'm sure there are others. (GEB = golden ear brigade :D )

OS

Some of those you have to keep explaining because they are not widely used. For example, OPS and IPS - I have never seen those used. We need to be careful not to invent new ones all the time. There may be cultural differences here: some people like acronyms (to save typing) so use lots including non-standard or newly invented ones, others prefer clarity so use just a few well-known ones and spell out everything else in full.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
RLH = Rear Loaded Horn = BLH
TL = Transmission Line (a damped QW line that has the closed end the same (straight) or greater (tapered) than the open end (terminus))
QW = QuarterWave Line (just to confuse things TL sometimes used for this too)
ML-TL = Mass Loaded TL (a TL with a restricted terminus, usually straight)
VP = Voigt = Voigt Pipe = (a QW line that has the closed end smaller than the open end (terminus))
TQWP = TQWT = Tapered Quarter Wave Pipe (Tube) = Voigt Pipe
since these usually don

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.