Sound treatment on the cheap

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello to all. I will be moving all my music/personal items into a large room. I am wanting to know what to do about noise from the washer/dryer and piping that runs through my building, and also, what should I do about my computer. I use it for recording, so what kind of box to build around it or other methods of keeping it quiet

Also, what should I do about reflections off the walls.

I wAs thinking about putting carpet on the walls and cieling.

Also, again, what should I do about the vented doors in the space. I am forced to have them to provide air to the furnace.

Thanks

How big is the room?
how are the walls constructed?
will it be permanent?
How high is the ceiling?
do you have acsess to the furnace controls?
will there be any furnature mirrors or tables?
what kind of floor?
Is it covered?
Is there a closet?
what kind of lighting if any?
are there windows?
what are the door made of and how many?

That will get me started.
carpet is good but we'll get to that later.

do want it dead or live or semi live. jer

The sPace is 15 foot by 11 foot with a 7 foot cieling

There is one large window mesuring 3 foot by 6 foot.

The room is semi underground.

I would prefer the sound in the room to still be a bit live, just not all out dead.

There are four doors, one hallow and two with two thirds of the door vented, and only one solid door, made from pine.

There is no closet, and the lighting is currently a simple ceiling fan.

The floors are currently covered in shag carpet.

The furnature may be a couch, computer desk, bookshelf, television stand and all music equipment.

I really dont have the money for the grey foam stuff In the studios. I also plan to do some recording.

The permanent option may not be available, but I may be ableto do the permanent fix.

my room is about the same size .
I don't have any treatment yet so I will do a sweep test tomorrow
It should be fairly close
this will give us a good place to start
do have any microphones and/or a sound level meter?
I had a whole bunch of things typed and some glitched and now I to start over, jer

It would be wise to get everything in there first as this can change things quite a bit.
You may find that you might not need as much as you except.
But I would suggest to pickup a copy of " the master handbook of acoustics" I only paid $21.95 for it.
It should answer any question you will ever need to know about room treatments in great detail better than I could try to explain over the forum.
But,If their is anything I can do to help just ask, Good luck. jer

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.