tube sound emulator for pc

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
To emulate something you have to be able to identify what is you are emulating/simulating. This results in at least two problems: 1- different tube amplifiers can sound quite different, and 2- different people associate "tube sound" with different characteristics.

Advectives such as "warm" are understood differently by different people, however, speakers described as "warm" often have slightly boosted mid ranges and upper bass relative to the highs. You might intry installing WinAmp and seeing if a little EQ will get you closer to what you seek.

A few months ago, a tube based sound card appeared, I don't know if it is still available (or if it ever was) but you could try to google for it. [+"PC sound card" +"tube" ] or something like that.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
There are quite a few valve simulators available as VST plugins, for programs such as Protools. Most are commercial, with fairly expensive price tags attached, but they usually have time limited demo versions available. If they actually sound any good, that I can't comment on! ;)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

A few months ago, a tube based sound card appeared, I don't know if it is still available (or if it ever was) but you could try to google for it. [+"PC sound card" +"tube" ] or something like that.

I don't know about single soundcards using tubes hitting the market but I do know Aopen has implemented the Sovtek 6922 + MIT coupling cap into an onboard soundcard on a few of their mobos.

Whether this will make it sound more like a tube amp I don't know.

To me at least tubes/valves do not sound like anything although you CAN make them distort anyway you want.

I think what you're looking for is an emulation with predominantly even order harmonic which makes for a richer, fuller sound.

Maybe such soft exists, nothing surprises me anymore ;) , I just wouldn't know.

Cheers,;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.