Non-adhesive sticky plastic sheets? (Room acoustics.) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd August 2003, 06:31 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to ScottRHinson
Default Non-adhesive sticky plastic sheets? (Room acoustics.)

Okay, some back story. We just finished a minor rennovation of our living room, paint, crown molding and a complete furniture re-arrangement. In the process we moved the stereo to the same wall as the china cabinet. Now, the plates and doors of the china cabinet shake something fierce and make a fair amount of noise.

Now, I seem to remember as a kid getting stickers that were printed on a clear plastic that would stick to glass in a non-permanent fashion. I guess it stuck via surface tension?

I need to get some of this material to put on the backs of the plates to keep them from shaking in the cabinet. The plates that are the worst offenders are the ones leaning against the back wall of the china cabinet.

Have I sufficiently described this stuff? Anyone know where to get a couple sheets of it?

Anyone have any other ideas? I'm open to suggestions, because I really don't want have to re-re-arrange the furniture.

Thanks,

Scott
Old 3rd August 2003, 06:42 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Scott may I suggest some adhesived back high density foam tape.
You can cut some little strips and adhere it to the cabinet where the plates sit on and rest on the back if they are standing>??? and inside the doors and it will not be obtrusive

DIRT®
Old 3rd August 2003, 06:46 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Joe,

I wish I could, but I can't. I guess I should have mentioned this in the earlier message, but both the furniture and plates are cherished family heirlooms and antiques. So, anything permanent/chemical based is pretty much out.

Scott
Old 3rd August 2003, 07:03 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

ok scott place the whole cabinet on tennis balls cut in half to isolate the cabinet

True story>>>>I did a design for someone with a similar problem and I bought a can of tennis balls and cut them in half and filled the cavities with silicone .....after it dried we placed them on the hard wood floor and set the cabinet on top....the resonance stopped and everyone was happy

DIRT®
Old 3rd August 2003, 10:22 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I'm not sure it's floor born vibrations, I think it's through the air. However, the best way to find out is to try it...which I shall do. Any other ideas guys?

Scott
Old 3rd August 2003, 10:35 PM   #6
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Try little wads of plasticine (modeling clay). Reversible, easy to apply. The plastic film you're talking about will stick to the glass, but probably not to the wood- the plasticine will do both.

There's another material that the Ace hardware store around here sells for the purpose of keeping china in place during quakes. It feels a lot like Blu-tack.

Hide this!Advertise here!