Non-adhesive sticky plastic sheets? (Room acoustics.)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Okay, some back story. We just finished a minor rennovation of our living room, paint, crown molding and a complete furniture re-arrangement. In the process we moved the stereo to the same wall as the china cabinet. Now, the plates and doors of the china cabinet shake something fierce and make a fair amount of noise.

Now, I seem to remember as a kid getting stickers that were printed on a clear plastic that would stick to glass in a non-permanent fashion. I guess it stuck via surface tension?

I need to get some of this material to put on the backs of the plates to keep them from shaking in the cabinet. The plates that are the worst offenders are the ones leaning against the back wall of the china cabinet.

Have I sufficiently described this stuff? Anyone know where to get a couple sheets of it?

Anyone have any other ideas? I'm open to suggestions, because I really don't want have to re-re-arrange the furniture.

Thanks,

Scott

ok scott place the whole cabinet on tennis balls cut in half to isolate the cabinet

True story>>>>I did a design for someone with a similar problem and I bought a can of tennis balls and cut them in half and filled the cavities with silicone .....after it dried we placed them on the hard wood floor and set the cabinet on top....the resonance stopped and everyone was happy

DIRT®

Try little wads of plasticine (modeling clay). Reversible, easy to apply. The plastic film you're talking about will stick to the glass, but probably not to the wood- the plasticine will do both.

There's another material that the Ace hardware store around here sells for the purpose of keeping china in place during quakes. It feels a lot like Blu-tack.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.