Having Receiver issues with Directv and changing channels. Protect mode - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th March 2011, 07:52 AM   #1
mazzy70 is offline mazzy70  United States
diyAudio Member

Unhappy Having Receiver issues with Directv and changing channels. Protect mode

Hi, everyone, Click the image to open in full size.

I have a Onkyo 6300, which consist of the HT-R680 receiver, and I am having some really irritating audio issues. Sometimes when I change the channel with Directv, my receiver will go into protection mode. It doesn't do it everytime, but I am getting tired of getting the stuffing scared out of me everytime it does it. Secondly, it will do it when I switch from the PS3 to Directv. Basically it does it when it has to change audio streams. Once it is on, and running, the audio is perfect. I can run it for hours at any loudness and not have any issues at all. It will also go into protect mode at the begining of a Netflix show on the PS3. Always at the start of the audio stream it seems. To get it not to Protect mode on me, I mute the receiver before I change the channel so it doesn't go into protect mode ever. Here is the rundown.

1. Fan cooled Receiver-HT-R680 5.1 with 6 ohm speakers, all tested one at a time. Receiver is rated 6-16 ohms. Tried a factory reset, still does it. Tried different hdmi inputs, still does it.

2. 16 gauge wire with banana plugs and tinned ends. No loose or stray wires here.

3. Everything hooked up HDMI cables except for laserdisc player, which is composite with digital audio out.

4. For everything on Directv I use straight decode, or neo 6 cinema, so I don't get relay clicks on the 2 channel commercials or programs.

5. PS3 is straight decode meaning multichannel out

6. Laserdisc is digital audio set to all channel stereo.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I am at a loss here. I have different speakers coming in a week, and I don't want to blow them up with the loud pop if the receiver goes into protect. Thanks everyone!
Old 27th March 2011, 07:36 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Try putting a capacitor in series with your audio inputs, it seems to be there may be a difference in dc offset of the driving source and that is fooling the protect circuit. Try .1 uf to start. If that works try 1 or 10 uf.
Old 28th March 2011, 08:17 AM   #3
mazzy70 is offline mazzy70  United States
diyAudio Member

Smile Receiver Prob.

I see what you are saying, however, how would i put a capacitor inline with a hdmi input? I can see how I can do it with say a analog cable or say my record player inputs, but not with hdmi. Have you done this before, and does it work out? Thanks for the tip.

Hide this!Advertise here!