RS232 - Does it require a termination?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi.

I have a data logging system which takes several serial inputs.

We had a lightning strike nearby a couple of days ago and that's when my problem started !

It is only with one channel of data. As far as I can tell, the other 3 are fine.

It's a rather ancient system with a backplane, 386 one-board cpu card and a 4-channel serial card.

I have changed the card, cpu board and hard drive to no avail.

First problem. The card was receiving data at 19200baud - no problem. After the strike, it has refused, even with the changes above. It works at 9600baud. This I can live with.

Second problem. One channel (as above) occaisionally refuses to record the previous 10secs of data flagging an error. This occurs about once per hour , randomly.

The data cable feeding this port has a branch (daisy-chain). If I terminate this with a RS232 tester/indicator the error stops !!

Does RS232 require a termination to work correctly? I cannot find this out.

Andy

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
A long time here as well! I last had RS232 on a Hawkwind tour to drive some custom lighting effects, (before DMX!), and the builder insisted on daisy chain linking, and provided some termination plugs, (one of which I threw at an Austrian traffic warden, but that's another story! :D), and these were needed to prevent false triggering.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I used to run very long RS-232 lines around basketball courts for the scoring and stats system used by the officials. Never used termination, never had a problem. Maybe the devices were already terminated?

I still use RS-232 to drive the DCX2496.

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Yes, RS232 is vintage but so is the equipment I'm using ! 396SX with 387SX maths coprocessor, 1m ram and DOS 5. It's slow but it works. (The techs did try migrating the system to a more modern platform but it was not as reliable!)

Just to satisfy myself, yesterday I disconnected the RS232 tester. The errors returned ! After 4 hrs, I reconnected the thing and have not had one since.

So no more messing about, it stays connected. Only another 3 weeks of the project left ......

Andy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.