This has Probably been answered before but here goes.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm on my facebook page and see this thing for building a "Tesla Generator" Although I'm not an electronics person (which I'm sure they are counting on) it would be interesting to build something that would cut my electric bill by a large percentage. So please don't laugh at me. I would like input and thoughts. Has anyone here ever built one? Is it just a pipe dream for the uninformed? (what I think anyway)

Ok that's it. I know it sounds too good to be true so it probably is.

Thanks

If I think it is of what you speak of............Tesla had a great?, grand .........idea of using giant Mega-watt radio frequency transmitters up upon the, hillsides of every city everywhere...a pipedream. These massive waves of electromagnetic energy could then be "tapped" by Joe home-owner with a simple antenna to derive electrical power to use in the home. If you think your "spooked" by electromagnetic energy levels from your local radio tower.......Tesla wanted a whole lot more energy flying thru the air.

_____________________________________________________Rick..........

Nickola Tesla was a genius and contributed a great deal to modern radio and electrical theory but there are few "secrets" in his work that aren't already known.

His pioneering development and research on AC motors, X-rays, radio transmission, high frequency and high voltage, fluorescent lamps, magnetic fields, electrostatic discharge, and even robotics was substantial and occasionally ground-breaking. He fought with some justification for the patent for radio after the USPTO revoked the one awarded to Marconi.

His experiments with wireless power transmission never truly were realized, but along the way much of his work has use today. During one experiment he measured the resonance frequency of the Earth at 8Hz ... something not verified until 50 years later. He built high horsepower bladeless turbines (up to 5,000 HP ... remember this was 1900~1910).

Around 1920 Tesla began exhibiting symptoms of Obsessive-Compulsive disorder, and after that time he became increasingly erratic. He died penniless in New York around 1940.

However, it should be noted that during this period he was working on a "Death Ray" weapon that was partly realized although never to completion, and there is much of Tesla in modern experimental military weaponry, not to mention the Taser, which pretty much stinks of Tesla, if you will excuse the phrase.

He is a fascinating individual and although he was not always correct, that tends to play into the hands of scammers who can point to the many things he did do, plus some that are modern day realizations of his ideas, long after his death.

Throw in a bit of conspiracy theory accusing the world of suppressing his ideas, and the spectacular nature of some of his experimental apparatus like the Tesla coil, and you've a recipe for scam artists to exploit. Not to mention that the modern day Hollywood concept of the "Mad Scientist" ... the phrase was actually used to describe Tesla during the time he was alive ... owes much to his reputation and behaviour. The iconic 1950's movie Mad Scientist character is usually a collage of a Tesla-like wild idea, a bit of ostracism by the scientific community, and Einstein's haircut.

The specific stuff you're talking about ... long distance transmission of electrical power ... consumed a lot of his money and resulted in a few failed corporations. The work is far from useless ... just not useful to transmit power to your kitchen blender.

Attachments

• tesla-coil1.jpg
    tesla-coil1.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Yep. I knew it. Actually I did know a little about Tesla. The AC over DC stuff and maybe a little History Channel episode. I seem to remember there being a great arch or something at Niagra Falls dedicated to him. Although I personally have not fallen victim to these scam artists, there is a nicely done AD on facebook that does make a compelling case to get "a paltry $47" from you. lol Thankfully(for me anyway) I knew the right place to ask.

Actually, come to think of it, I'm now waiting for the 911 conspiracy people to put out a nice compilation video with voice over proving beyond a doubt that the recent Japan earthquake and tsunami are actually weather and earth manipulations orchestrated by George Bush and Dick Cheney to manipulate the world economy.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.