SinBin post 49 - posting private email without the other party's permission - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd August 2003, 12:37 PM   #1
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

Question SinBin post 49 - posting private email without the other party's permission

Quote:
Skinnyboy is sinbinned for one week for posting private email without the other party's permission.
How is this possible?

Maybe explaining this isn't a good idea?
Old 2nd August 2003, 12:45 PM   #2
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Cut and paste can do wonders.

In any case, Skinnyboy has assured me that he won't do that again, and the aggrieved party is satisfied that we took care of this in a fair and prompt manner.
Old 3rd August 2003, 06:50 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Was the content offensive ?.
If not, what's the problem ?.

Eric.
Old 3rd August 2003, 08:01 AM   #4
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Not all of us want our email adresses to be known in public for various reasons. I am one of them.

Could be that the person in question receives too much audiorelated email when the adress is given away or it could the risk of the mailadress being scanned by a spam program to name a few. Or it could be simply a matter of privacy.
Old 3rd August 2003, 01:24 PM   #5
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Default The privacy of members' communication

In this case, the content was offensive, but even if it weren't, it's a matter of privacy. If Eric sends me an email, it's something that he probably wants to say to me privately. If I then post his email in public without his permission, that's a breach of his privacy and it's wrong to do. The right thing to do is for me to ask Eric if it's OK. Doubly so if it's part of a personal dispute.

And Eric, don't worry, I won't post all those emails you sent me about investing in a scheme to smuggle money out of Nigeria. Your secret about being the estranged son of the Finance Minister is safe with me.

Hide this!Advertise here!