Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th March 2011, 11:44 PM   #1
JoeDJ is offline JoeDJ  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Is bi-wiring speakers worth it?

I have a friend who has a pair of Polk speakers that have the capability of being bi-wired
He asked me if it was worth it. So is it?

Yes, I know it only involves a bit of wire and he can experiment but, I am curious myself.

I should add that it is only a low to mid range, low powered sys to begin with and he is currently using 18 gauge lamp cord to connect the speakers.
Am I right in assuming that it can't hurt though he may not notice any difference at all?

Is there any potential downside to it?

Last edited by JoeDJ; 12th March 2011 at 11:53 PM.
Old 12th March 2011, 11:49 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

18 gauge is small. Usually #14 is more adequated, depending of the impedance, power level and length of wire.
http://www.av-outlet.com/en-us/dept_216.html
Selecting Speaker Cable for Whole House Audio - HomeTech Solutions
Bi-wiring helps especially if you have two dedicated amplifyers on each channel (4 in total).
Old 12th March 2011, 11:59 PM   #3
JoeDJ is offline JoeDJ  United States
diyAudio Member

He just want's to bi- wire them, not bi amp them.

Also, his amp is about 10' from the speakers
Old 13th March 2011, 12:51 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Well, I understand that. Bi-wiring from the same amplifyer is like using a thicker wire.
Old 13th March 2011, 01:00 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

So , doubling the wire , doubles the expense
Old 13th March 2011, 03:47 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I read somewhere that bi-wiring can reduce intermodulation, in that the cable leading from amp to the treble drivers won't be carrying current for low frequencies as it simply won't pass the crossover, and similarly the cable between amp and bass won't carry the treble. Sounds like it's ultimately just going to be, yes, like having cables twice as fat ;P
Old 13th March 2011, 04:00 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

In reality the weak point is still the crossover network inside the speaker. That would affect more the sound than the mixing of the courents in the wires.
And btw, the electrical conductors are VERY linear devices, therefore there is no "intermodulation" that can occure.
Old 13th March 2011, 04:07 AM   #8
TerryO is offline TerryO  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNic_real_one View Post
In reality the weak point is still the crossover network inside the speaker. That would affect more the sound than the mixing of the courents in the wires.
And btw, the electrical conductors are VERY linear devices, therefore there is no "intermodulation" that can occure.
As long as it's American copper wire, it will be at least 99.5% pure. Some of the Chinese copper wire has been tested in the 80 something percent range.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Last edited by TerryO; 13th March 2011 at 04:23 AM. Reason: spelling erorr
Old 13th March 2011, 04:18 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Can we be so sure about the technical fact that dividing the ground returns will be so beneficial to sound ?
We have seen 3 different things
One is different cables for different amplifiers ; another is splitting to the two sections of the crossover ; the following is the classical ,and I ask :
can it be also beneficial to have all components and drivers to share a common ( Return) wire ? the benefits of having a true biwiring was exploited by Kenwood at the end of '70s with the Return wire connected to a sensitive place in the amplifier circuit ,making cable's resistance negligible .
If that NFB , that may transport EMF from the speaker , is then applied to the same point ,after being split at the origin ...dffffff
Old 13th March 2011, 04:20 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Purity? Yeah, but still would be some metalic material therfore linear, no? No "intermodulation".
Return neutralisation? That is not how it is done, not by separating coils. But having a "sense" connection at the amplifier end.

Last edited by SoNic_real_one; 13th March 2011 at 04:22 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!