Is bi-wiring speakers worth it?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a friend who has a pair of Polk speakers that have the capability of being bi-wired
He asked me if it was worth it. So is it?

Yes, I know it only involves a bit of wire and he can experiment but, I am curious myself.

I should add that it is only a low to mid range, low powered sys to begin with and he is currently using 18 gauge lamp cord to connect the speakers.
Am I right in assuming that it can't hurt though he may not notice any difference at all?

Is there any potential downside to it?

Last edited:
I read somewhere that bi-wiring can reduce intermodulation, in that the cable leading from amp to the treble drivers won't be carrying current for low frequencies as it simply won't pass the crossover, and similarly the cable between amp and bass won't carry the treble. Sounds like it's ultimately just going to be, yes, like having cables twice as fat ;P

In reality the weak point is still the crossover network inside the speaker. That would affect more the sound than the mixing of the courents in the wires.
And btw, the electrical conductors are VERY linear devices, therefore there is no "intermodulation" that can occure.

As long as it's American copper wire, it will be at least 99.5% pure. Some of the Chinese copper wire has been tested in the 80 something percent range.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Last edited:
Can we be so sure about the technical fact that dividing the ground returns will be so beneficial to sound ?
We have seen 3 different things
One is different cables for different amplifiers ; another is splitting to the two sections of the crossover ; the following is the classical ,and I ask :
can it be also beneficial to have all components and drivers to share a common ( Return) wire ? the benefits of having a true biwiring was exploited by Kenwood at the end of '70s :confused: with the Return wire connected to a sensitive place in the amplifier circuit ,making cable's resistance negligible .
If that NFB , that may transport EMF from the speaker , is then applied to the same point ,after being split at the origin ...:rolleyes:dffffff

Purity? Yeah, but still would be some metalic material therfore linear, no? No "intermodulation".
Return neutralisation? That is not how it is done, not by separating coils. But having a "sense" connection at the amplifier end.

That's my take on it as well. I've never seen anything that indicates any benefit for bi-wire in the sense that it is commonly used.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Yes ,but crossovers have caps& coils in series and in parallel....:)
And your point is?
Bi-Wiring dowsn't eliminate nothing that is INSIDE the speaker enclosure. And since we are not talking about Bi-Amping, I see no real benefit of running four #18 wires opposed to two #16 (63% resistance) or, better, #14 (40% resistance)... All those speaker wires are multistranded.

LE: I can see a benefit if you want, for some reason, to go "bigger" than #12 and you cannot find #10. Plus that won't fit in the posts to well...

Last edited:
And your point is?
Bi-Wiring dowsn't eliminate nothing that is INSIDE the speaker enclosure. And since we are not talking about Bi-Amping, I see no real benefit of running four #18 wires opposed to two #16 (63% resistance) or, better, #14 (40% resistance)... All those speaker wires are multistranded.

LE: I can see a benefit if you want, for some reason, to go "bigger" than #12 and you cannot find #10. Plus that won't fit in the posts to well...
:p
In response to Terry O
Have you seen the video on PE site that shows the Dayton big FRs ?
:D
Regarding OP's question , I would ask and invite his friend to a well furnished cable shop ,if it does ever exist , and ask the retailer - if well informed of the matter - whether or not and in which manner each cable ( set ) can be used .

LIke i said in m OP, I didn't think he would notice any difference.

I guess it would only be of any benefit if everything else was not any sort of weak link.

I'm begining to think that it is largely just a marketing gimmick.

Last edited:
intresting, indeed.
bi-wire for me would be useless, i use a cheap heavy duty cable.
it was ment to be a jumper cable. Is supposed to be able to handle 100 A load.
There are articles of blind tests where the audiophiles where unable to tell the difference between:
-some monster cable therated with slain lion's blood and unicorn **** mixed with snake oil
-and a speaker wire made out of an ordinary coat hanger.

running 2 set of wires instead of 1 is pontless, unless you have used a wire that was allready too thin for the job.

bi-amp ing, having a separate amplifier for every speaker does have benefits.
Specialy if you have active x over. And you should do, it is just 1 tiny step from having 4 mono amps to power a set of stereo 2 way system.

As long as it's American copper wire, it will be at least 99.5% pure. Some of the Chinese copper wire has been tested in the 80 something percent range.

Best Regards,
TerryO

I had come across zip cords (fortunately, used it as test wires with allig clips) that are said to be copper, and they look like copper wire. But the strands stick to a magnet!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.