Cal's Bybee experience - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 7th March 2011, 03:31 AM   #21
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

I am interested in only a dummy load for the burn in of the Bybees. I do not intend to use drivers in the circuit during the burn in.

John, I am not interested in contacting anyone regarding this, you have recommended the burning in and that is what I wish us to concentrate on. If you wish to offer suggestions of the appropriate techniques then please do so.

Do not assume I don't have the required "listening standards", only a fool would suggest that. I am also not interested in a condescending attitude, if that is necessary, I will certainly let you know. I have plenty to offer in that regard. Either we work together here or we will take this offline.

Further, I see no value in what you and Mr. Bybee did 15 years ago. The literature tells me the advancements are such that the product of 15 years ago is of a much lesser value today.

I am further disheartened to know that this product, even in the past, has had a less than positive result as you have mentioned.

I hope you had a good lunch and nice visit.

Old 7th March 2011, 03:40 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

Cal, please, I have tried to help, referred you to others qualified to help you, and facilitated the return of your money. That is the best that I can do. I don't handle these devices on a regular basis myself, and my knowledge is second hand on new ones.

Old 7th March 2011, 03:41 AM   #23
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Thank you John, I will keep these points in mind.

Old 7th March 2011, 06:48 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

lol - for clarity, can I paraphrase JC (parsed from a number of posts...)?

The device makes a subtle difference except in cases when it doesn't.

The device should be broken in for an extended period, but in some cases this is not required.

The most recent reference is 15 years ago and the detail cannot be recalled, except that the detail included the device wasn't soldered in. (from this I conclude that break in is vital (except, as noted earlier, when it isn't), but quality of termination is irrelevant)

Oh, and all Bybee interactions face to face involve food.

On the basis of all this Cal, can I suggest a little fois gras on a lightly toasted all-grain loaf and a good Pinot, all consumed from the bonnet (hood) of a fettled Bentley whilst listening to the devices alligator-clipped to your speaker of choice.

And Jimmy Buffett turned up to 11.

Old 7th March 2011, 07:18 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

John - while I appreciate that this is a listening thread as against a measuring thread, is there any reason at all that you never raised the 200 hours of burn in issue in any thread including the measurement thread until now?

Old 7th March 2011, 10:47 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

This is because ALL of the Bybee devices in MY system have more than 200 hours on them, as they have been installed in my system for about 10 years on average.
I am in constant contact with Jack Bybee and Brian Cheney. This is because I have shared a warehouse with Brian Cheney continuously since 1988, built the vast majority of Vendetta Research preamps while sharing the facility with Brian Cheney, between 1988 and 1991, when I closed Vendetta Research, and have used the facility for storage for the last 20 years.
Brian Cheney, on Thanksgiving day, 2110, as I was having it with him, told me that he had a problem. A customer of one of his better loudspeakers insisted on adding Bybee devices to the loudspeaker system Brian Cheney was making for him. The customer supplied the Bybee devices.
At first, Brian built 2 identical loudspeakers sets, apparently one that he would show at CES in Jan 2010, and the the other, for this specific customer.
Then, satisfied that the 2 sets sounded essentially identical, Brian Cheney then proceeded to solder in the Bybee devices, apparently to the customer's instructions.
At first, in a direct comparison with the untouched units, the sound got WORSE. Then Brian got the suggestion (not from me) to 'break-in' the Bybee components mounted with the speakers for a number of hours. In relative desperation, Brian Cheney apparently put the Bybee'd loudspeaker on continuous operation for a number of hours with some sort of source, a power amp and using the loudspeaker as a load. This is entirely possible in 2 separate locations of Brian Cheney's working space, without interfering with normal household activities.
Later, when comparing the two sets of loudspeakers, he found the Bybee'd pair to sound SUPERIOR to the un-Bybee'd pair. Now, he has a dilemma. He was set to take the un-Bybee'd pair to CES for his traditional LIVE vs recorded demo, BUT he knew that the sound would improve IF he had the Bybee devices installed, properly broken-in, of course. He didn't have the MONEY to invest in the Bybee devices to get the most out of his design, as he had invested everything that he had in renting the space for the CES demo. We called Jack Bybee to ask what to do. As it was Thanksgiving Day, Jack was busy with family matters, so Brian Cheney called him later for additional discussion. I personally saw little hope for Brian, at first. He needed a number of devices, and the cost to him would amount to several thousand dollars, no matter what. I didn't think that Jack would loan or give him so many devices, but he did, and so Jack Bybee and Brian Cheney shared the costs at CES for the live-recorded demo.
Brian installed the devices just a few weeks before the show and got them 'broken-in' just in time. This year, Brian's demo worked very well, and Brain got several sales of his loudspeaker, with Bybee's, at and after the show.
Now, apparently, break-in is very important with the latest devices. I knew that it was somewhat important, from past experience, over the years, but 200 hours? No way! HOWEVER, that is the latest estimate. I hate the idea, and so does Jack Bybee, but he apparently has found no way around it.
Now in this test with Cal. I included 'break-in' in the discussion, but in retrospect, I wish that I had said NOTHING, because if Cal or anybody else here, cannot hear a Bybee added to their system, even previously unused, then they probably won't hear it, once it is broken-in as well. So I have wasted your time. Sorry about that, it is best to return them for full credit.

Old 7th March 2011, 12:33 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Thanksgiving day, 2010
CES in Jan 2011

yes ?

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by johnferrier; 7th March 2011 at 12:41 PM.

Old 7th March 2011, 12:59 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Weldon View Post
I used only one channel, I shunted the other with a resistor. I used alligator clip test leads and/or twist connections.
Cal. On which end of the cable did you connect them, the amp end or the speaker?

John

Old 7th March 2011, 01:35 PM   #29
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

It was part way along the speaker cable. Approx 18" from the amp and another 12" to the driver(s).

Old 7th March 2011, 01:50 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Weldon View Post
It was part way along the speaker cable. Approx 18" from the amp and another 12" to the driver(s).
Ah. Nearfield.

My double "george*10e-2"'s worth..

1. You have to perform this test using one amp channel. This is to eliminate the possibility that the channel response was altered by the load.
2. Using a mono signal allows you to notice if there is a sideways drift in any of the image spectra. For example, sibilance shift horizontally with respect to the fundamentals.

I also concur with others...beer is required...

Cheers, John

ps..I believe it is necessary to use reasonable speaker wire lengths as well, your lengths are not consistent with end use. I also recommend the test be performed with normal zip as opposed to any cable with a low impedance. So, I'd go with two 10 foot lengths

Closed Thread

Hide this!Advertise here!