Cal's Bybee experience - Page 19 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 11th September 2013, 01:32 PM   #181
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

John, this is taking too long, maybe later.

Old 12th November 2013, 05:31 AM   #182
diyAudio Member

Cal et al, for the life of me I can't believe that this thread has lasted for as long as it has (several years). I started reading this late at night as I am getting ready to order the Bybee Internal Speaker Bullet Kit Gen #2. I have an SET amp using output tubes of the 45 variety producing a wooping 1.5 wpc driving large BLH's with a single 8" full range driver each + super tweeters mounted on top of the cabinets.
I've been working on my system for a few years now, and adding an external power supply to my turntable and an external DAC have made a substantial and quantifiable difference. Since there is happy and yet happier I decided to give the Bybee bullets a try and I am ordering a set. I should be able to notice the difference (if any) or lack thereof.

I will install the Bybee's inside the cabinet right before the full range drivers and the tweeters. I plan not to pass any judgment until I have dummy played these (running them 24/7) for 10 days using another SS amp I have. After that I will report what I was able to observe (most important hear . From personal experience and that of others in the various forums, I know that tweaks are system and user preference dependent. Thus whatever my findings would apply mainly to my system and what I like best on my sound. More to follow in 15 days.

Last edited by eagertrader; 12th November 2013 at 05:35 AM.

Old 13th November 2013, 01:52 AM   #183
diyAudio Member

Default Ain't 2+ years of trading insults enough?

I thought that this forum is for people that love music, and the gear we use is just the necessary medium that let us get closer to that original performance. But is just that, gear, without the music behind, these are nothing but chunks of metals, woods and plastics. I included a pic of my humble chunk.

Trading insults and trying to outpiss and outsnub one another has nothing to do with this hobby (passion, love, fixation) of ours.

I always felt that the mission of an audiophile forum is to share experiences in the hopes that others may profit from these, for the advancement of the community. Maybe I am too nave, but I am willing to put my money where my mouth is and get the darn things and give them a spin. Only then will I be able to experience for myself if there is any magic in the product or not.

What's the worse that can happen?, that I am out a few hundred bucks? I can always return them or re-sell them so the damage would be minimal. But if they turn out to be true and bring yet more spark to my system, the amount of enjoyment and satisfaction I would get from the product over the years is priceless (to me). In summary, the potential benefits far outweigh the potential downside.

For anyone out there that may care or give a hut, I'll post my findings as I go through the latest version of the Bybee internal bullets once I get them installed.

Once I try them after their break-in period I will be able to say what Bybees did or didn't do for me, which is not to say these would do for anybody else.

PS: One of the greatest revelations I got when I turned 50 a number of years ago, was that I no longer had to keep trying to look good for no-one that gave a crap.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AN Super 8 cast frame Horns.jpg (562.1 KB, 169 views)

Last edited by eagertrader; 13th November 2013 at 02:07 AM. Reason: misspellings

Old 13th November 2013, 01:59 AM   #184
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Recent posts that don't deal with Bybee experience have been removed.

Old 13th November 2013, 02:18 AM   #185
diyAudio Member

Cal,

I took a look at your speakers link, man, very impressive, they look great and probably sound likewise. I am glad that you have a wife that is more understanding than mine... or are you single? ;-)

Old 13th November 2013, 02:27 AM   #186
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

She likes the fact that my interests keep me within a safety zone to some extent. The one and only time she complained about the abundance of speakers, I said "you're right honey, I should consider another hobby. I've always wanted to go skydiving, drag racing and submarine exploring."

No more complaints about speakers.
Best honey ever.

She didn't notice a difference with the Bybees either. I wanted her ears there because the female ears may be more sensitive?

Old 13th November 2013, 02:58 AM   #187
diyAudio Member

I know how you feel bro'. I said something similar to mine a long time ago:

"every man has to have a vice: Drugs, Booze, Gambling, Woman or Audio... which one do you feel should be mine?". And it is the cheapest of all five to boot!

The level of reluctant acceptance has since gone up, but there are still some complaints (much fewer though), as audiophilia remains the "other woman" in my life. Now, enter Bybees (...or not). We shall see.

Last edited by eagertrader; 13th November 2013 at 02:59 AM. Reason: added word

Old 13th November 2013, 01:46 PM   #188
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Ya, she does call herself a speaker widow when I have a project underway.

I wish I had mine for you to try but SY has them hidden in a box somewhere after his most recent move.

Old 13th November 2013, 01:55 PM   #189
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Not hidden, they're in my desk drawer at work (I had them here to check the purported microwave miracles using our R&S network analyzer- when that showed no magic, the goalposts moved to sub-1Hz).

No excuse for my laziness and procrastination getting them back to you...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg desk drawer.jpg (100.3 KB, 145 views)

Old 14th November 2013, 10:48 PM   #190
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
Not hidden, they're in my desk drawer at work ...
Aha, so that's where you keep your 2 cents.

Closed Thread

Hide this!Advertise here!