DIY IR remote volume control addon

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would like to build a remote volume control for my older (non home theatre)
receiver. The audio/vca/motorpot section is no problem for me, I just can't find info on
the IR receiver/decoder section. There are IR receivers available at Radio Shack
but info on how to interface and program them escapes me.

Goals:
1. To be able to be controlled by an inexpensive universal remote using the
"Audio" button on the remote. Ideally, it would mimic a known home theatre
receiver so that I could just program the remote by holding the "Audio"
button and entering a three digit code.

2. To power up in a sane mode. Volume at 10% or so, NOT 100% or mute.

3. LED bar graph for gain/attenuation indication.

4. To be an external unit connected to the receiver's eq/processor loop.
No problem here. I have elex fabrication facilities.

If I get it going, I'll post link to complete info.

Thanks in advance for any info,
Emory

emorysmith said:
receiver. The audio/vca/motorpot section is no problem for me, I just can't find info on
the IR receiver/decoder section. There are IR receivers available at Radio Shack
but info on how to interface and program them escapes me.[/QOUTE]

I just designed a remote control receiver some months ago - have a look here: http://stiftsbogtrykkeriet.dk/~mcs/Remote/index.html

Goals:

I've used Philips RC5 code, which should work with all universal remotes

If you use a motorpot it will power up in the (in)sane position you left it in :)

Is that nescessary for a motorpot?

I am also working on a remote controlled "passive preamp" as well as a board with relay or chip attenuators, but that's not complete yet...

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

emorysmith said:
but info on how to interface and program them escapes me.

I just designed a remote control receiver some months ago - have a look here: http://stiftsbogtrykkeriet.dk/~mcs/Remote/index.html

Goals:

I've used Philips RC5 code, which should work with all universal remotes

If you use a motorpot it will power up in the (in)sane position you left it in :)

Is that nescessary for a motorpot?

I am also working on a remote controlled "passive preamp" as well as a board with relay or chip attenuators, but that's not complete yet...

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

hello Mikkel

>Aren't those Philips chips obsolete? Can you still get them?

This is correct, but I have four.

>But it only took me a couple of hours to make my own
>replacement chip using a microcontroller ;-)

This is also correct, but can Emory do it?

Best regards

Here's some great info:
Pre-programmed PIC. Reads Sony RC. Has 4 or 8 momentary and toggle outputs.
http://www.pics.com/~grieb/IR.htm

I'm in progress of getting parts together.
Using relay on a toggle output for mute.
Using motorpot on momemtary outputs for volume.

http://24.92.73.209/pix/irvolcont.pdf
Might change daily. (As might the IP :-( )
Yes, the LM18200 H-Bridge is overkill but
I have several ;^)

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
JasonL said:
this is looking interesting. you could use this Circuit for a alps Volume Control..

http://stiftsbogtrykkeriet.dk/~mcs/Remote/index.html

I had this same idea a while back, but never actually did it. If anyone is interested in this, you can get dual gang 50k audio taper motorized alps potentiometers from www.brigarelectronics.com part number 50KAX4 for $5.95 It is quite a good deal, and much cheaper then the other prices that i have seen for these potentiometers. I bought a bunch of these potentiometers a couple of months ago, and they are nice parts.

--
Brian

BrianGT said:

I had this same idea a while back, but never actually did it. If anyone is interested in this, you can get dual gang 50k audio taper motorized alps potentiometers from www.brigarelectronics.com part number 50KAX4 for $5.95

Is it actually a dual pot? The picture looks like a quad pot...

It is quite a good deal, and much cheaper then the other prices that i have seen for these potentiometers.

It's a VERY good deal - they normally cost $45-50 here (Europe).

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

BrianGT said:

I had this same idea a while back, but never actually did it. If anyone is interested in this, you can get dual gang 50k audio taper motorized alps potentiometers from www.brigarelectronics.com part number 50KAX4 for $5.95 It is quite a good deal, and much cheaper then the other prices that i have seen for these potentiometers. I bought a bunch of these potentiometers a couple of months ago, and they are nice parts.

--
Brian

Brian, since you have bought them, can you confirm if they are dual (stereo) or quadruple pots?

Cheers

andrea

IR TX/RX chipsets

The Kodenshi remote control receiver IC (Farnell 139-877) is a simple 3-terminal device that takes care of all the IR detection and amplification and really works well over a wide angle and a good distance.

Holtek make TX and RX chips for IR remote control. (Available from Maplin in the UK). They're cheap, dead simple and suited to basic applications, but for some reason I couldn't get the receiver chip to work at all. Maybe others will have better luck.

The Holtek transmitter requires hardly any external components and works as advertised. The modulation uses a series of short and long pulses to represent 1's and 0's, which means you can make your own decoder in a cheap CPLD (eg Altera EPM7128S) I can supply VHDL code for anyone interested in this.

Then when your proto works, you can go buy a neat 'learning' remote and program it from the Holtek transmitter.

Hope this is of help

John

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.