Double blind test of cheap/fake phono connectors anyone?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anyone had any experience with fake Chinese copies of respected (and prohibitively expensive IMO) phono and other connectors? There are loads of fake WTB, Monster and other such products sold in China, which, although clearly counterfeit, share most of the mechanical and aesthetic properties of the originals.

Has anyone tried using any of these? Are they durable/reliable or do they break after a week of use? Have you noticed a difference in sound? Even better, has anyone done any blind testing?

I am aware that the conductivity of copper and copper alloys is what it is, regardless of the brand that is laser engraved on it. Still, cheap-o connectors could well be poorly coated, poorly insulated between the two poles and/or suffering from a number of mechanical problems through lack of quality control, so I wanted to hear your experiences.

Wouldn't also checking the insertion losses (RLC) of different connectors give an indication of quality, that is also quantifiable. You will probably find there are cheap copies (quality) and there are cheap copies (price). Again the cheap copies show up more when RF or high speed connectors are copied, or even a cheaper make chosen to cut a products cost.

I got them in the end, will try them out for a while and report. In true Chinese copy fashion, they got the model and logo wrong :)

Bought them from a shop that sold valve amps. They had a pair of 300B DIY looking mono-blocks for £250! I wonder how they do it...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.