Double blind test of cheap/fake phono connectors anyone? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd February 2011, 03:08 AM   #1
cr0wl3y is offline cr0wl3y  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Double blind test of cheap/fake phono connectors anyone?

Has anyone had any experience with fake Chinese copies of respected (and prohibitively expensive IMO) phono and other connectors? There are loads of fake WTB, Monster and other such products sold in China, which, although clearly counterfeit, share most of the mechanical and aesthetic properties of the originals.

Has anyone tried using any of these? Are they durable/reliable or do they break after a week of use? Have you noticed a difference in sound? Even better, has anyone done any blind testing?

I am aware that the conductivity of copper and copper alloys is what it is, regardless of the brand that is laser engraved on it. Still, cheap-o connectors could well be poorly coated, poorly insulated between the two poles and/or suffering from a number of mechanical problems through lack of quality control, so I wanted to hear your experiences.
Old 23rd February 2011, 11:27 AM   #2
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Wouldn't also checking the insertion losses (RLC) of different connectors give an indication of quality, that is also quantifiable. You will probably find there are cheap copies (quality) and there are cheap copies (price). Again the cheap copies show up more when RF or high speed connectors are copied, or even a cheaper make chosen to cut a products cost.
Old 23rd February 2011, 12:15 PM   #3
weskoki is offline weskoki  Europe
diyAudio Member

I had WBT 144 RCA's that i got very cheap.They didn't feel/look as good as the original.After a while the paint actually started to peel off!
Old 26th February 2011, 02:41 PM   #4
cr0wl3y is offline cr0wl3y  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I got them in the end, will try them out for a while and report. In true Chinese copy fashion, they got the model and logo wrong

Bought them from a shop that sold valve amps. They had a pair of 300B DIY looking mono-blocks for 250! I wonder how they do it...

Hide this!Advertise here!