Yet another loud GhettoBlaster

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In between your February posts and now I also had some fun building a "tool chest" and I too found that the input from my iPod was insufficient to tick off the neighbours but with the addition of a DVD player, all is well in volumeland.

7 compartments, 2 amps and 22 kgs. :) Your box is a lot nicer than mine as I ran into some problems and abandoned the finish work but I am happy with the results nonetheless. Sorry for the hijack.

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_7350.jpg
    IMG_7350.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 139
That looks amazing, nice work.

I would say that those Li-on cells will be around 4.1v-4.2v each fully charged, which will give you over 16v when you have 4 cells connected in series.

This may be a little too much voltage for the amp 6, but you can get around this be checking your cells aren't over 16v total before turning the amp on. :)

You could also run 3 cells in series instead, giving a voltage of 12.6v when fully charged and around 11.1v the majority of the time.

Last edited:
...I too found that the input from my iPod was insufficient to tick off the neighbours but with the addition of a DVD player, all is well in volumeland.
Cheers

Cal, I've seen some of the pictures you post. While this looks great for terrorizing the beach / picnic area, I think your neighbors have bigger things to worry about...

:devilr:

Last edited:
Got around to do something at last..

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Sanding down the old paint.. with my friend watching attentively with his beer.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Applying new basecoat.

And new layer of neon yellow.

And tomorrow some clear varnish for shine!

Years go by but I finally gave the blaster a decent clearcoat. I was afraid the clearcoat would reveal the bumpy surface on the fibreglass parts, but to my suprise the surface was clear and smooth, yay.
I also upgraded the components a bit. The nokia n800 is gone. It was really useless in sunlight anyway and the battery ran out way before the blaster battery itself would.
Now there is a pre-amplifier for the input jack. (most phones have weak outuput) Lastly a bigger aplifier (sure-electronics 2x50W) and a 6s lipo battery to go with that.

All the images can be found here: http://www.lanita.org/~willek/temp/BiggerBlaster2010/

I'm impressed.

By the way, from reading car audio magazines, fleece is what the builders of fiberglass enclosures and speaker pods like to use. I guess it holds more resin than thinner cloth, and is very stretchy.

And for potentially cheap neo fullranges, ask car-audio shops if they've got any "pulls" from factory systems. I came across a pair of OEM car speakers at a thrift store that are amazingly lightweight: composite (glass-filled?) frames, tiny neo magnet structures, and a 4 ohm, 20 watt rating that's an ideal match to T-amps. Made in Mexico, but no brand name visible, and googling part numbers didn't find anything. Negative points are connectors that resemble nothing normal, and the frames are shaped for mounting from inside the trunk or something. I should take one around to some car audio shops and see if anyone recognizes it.

Lets revive an old thread..

The yellow blaster has seen much use and served well. But for most times the 7 kg weight is just too much, especially if one does not need the maximum amount on sound pressure.
So I decided to build a smaller one from scrap parts.

Inside the monoblaster there is the same 2x50W sure amplifier. The other channel is broken in this one so it is effectively a good mono amplifier. :)
Driver too is same as in the yellow one, Visaton BG-20. The magnet had broken off, but I glued it back with epoxy. I think it is tougher now than a new one.
I didn't have batteries lying around so I ordered these plastic cased lion batteries from dealextreme. The capacity is nowhere near the promised figures, but enough for one night of full volume play. Bit expensive too but the ease of use (compared to rc-lipos, 18650 cells, etc) is really worth it.
I also noticed sure-electronics had a bluetooth receiver board in their website, so I ordered a couple of those. (for the yellow one too of cource)

The casing also is made of scrap parts. It has plywood, mdf, fiberglass and aluminum in it.
The frame is mainly thick plywood partially milled thin to be light. Back, top, bottom and bracing are thin mdf. Inside there is one sheet of fiberglass and resin for strength. The sides are 3mm thick aluminum for easy mounting and heat dissipation for amplifier. Wood parts I covered with fake leather. Easy way to get a stylish look. (I really hate painting and the basework for it :)

Pictures speak for themselves:

Links for the stuff:

Amplifier
BT-receiver
Lion battery
Visaton BG-20

Turned out quite well. Almost as loud as yellow big brother but much lighter. Works well as a bench too since there is no stuff on the top. :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.