Yet another loud GhettoBlaster

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here is my earlier blaster, built in 2009.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

More story and building pictures here:
AllTheMods - Hardware Modding & Tuning Gallery

Altough this blaster served well enough, I wanted MORE sound. I started building this new blaster in the summer in 2010, and though it has been in use several times, it is not yet finished.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Drivers are Visaton BG 20. I chose them for their excellent sensitivity. Altough quite cheap, They offer real bang for the buck.
Amplifier is amp6 Basic from 41Hz.com. Digital and offers 2x15 W.
I chose lithium-ion batteries over NiMh or LiPo, since they are more carefree.
These are trustfire 18650 2500mAh 3,7V cells and in series they produce 14,8V which is ideal for the amp6.

The casing is 4mm plywood and fiberglass.

The main music player is an old internet tablet Nokia N800. I also added an USB/SD-card player which works with a remote.
And of course there is a plug for external players like cellphones.

Some leather ornaments and guard for the driver.

My original idea was to paint the blaster perly white with some car paint, but since I was in a hurry to get it ready, I used spray paint. On impulse I chose fluo yellow.
It came out quite aggressive :D

Comments?
Better color suggestions?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Excellent job Willek. The colour is just fine and the workmanship is commendable. I have been mulling around some ideas myself after the last one didn't quite cut it. Tell me please what cloth you use for forming the speaker area and how you laid up your fiberglass. Please include the weights, plies, resin, etcetera.

Thanks for showing us.

The "cloth" is an old T-shirt. :D I guess it was cotton.
The resin is regular boat-stuff, styrene based polyesther resin.
There are 2-3 plies of fiberglass, but I think I sanded most of it off while trying to get it even. :)
If by weight(s?) you mean the whole blaster, it is some 8 kg.

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
Breathes there a diy audio fan who does not have in the back of his mind building the biggest kickass blaster in history?

Looks like you've done it. Forming it out of fiberglass for that custom look really puts it in another class altogether. Looks like it came out of a factory with machine tooling, etc. Congratulations!

Breathes there a diy audio fan who does not have in the back of his mind building the biggest kickass blaster in history?

Looks like you've done it. Forming it out of fiberglass for that custom look really puts it in another class altogether. Looks like it came out of a factory with machine tooling, etc. Congratulations!

Thanks! :D

Hi Willek, thanks for the answers. By weight I was meaning the glass mat. I am supposing it is non-woven either 1 oz. or 2 oz.? And did you resin the shirt first and let it dry to get a surface on which to lay up your build up?

I dont actually know which weight it was, but definitely not woven. In retrospect, I think I should have used lighter mat since the surface came out so rough. And yes, I let theT-shirt harden with resin before applying the glass mat layers.

Looks killer! Don't change the color. Maybe a clear coat on it though. How long will it play? Looks like no separate tweeter, are you satisfied with the HF of the driver alone?

Yeah clearcoat crossed my mind though I have to redo the paintjob first. It was done in a rush and looks quite horrible on closer inspection. :)
I was actually suprised how well the Visaton drivers handle the high frequecies. It is well and beyond enough for the outdoors use this is designed for. :)
Playtime with full volume is about a day, and with medium volume easily a weekend. The N800 battery runs out well before the main battery :D

Some updates: I added a pre-amplifier, because the nokia N800 output power sucks. Now it makes much more noise, but playtime at full volume decreased from two days to something like 8 hours. Maybe I'll double the batteries or something. I also remembered to weigh the thing now that I'm redoing the paintjob. It doesnt weigh 8 kg like I said earlier, but 7kg. The empty plywood/fiberglass casing only weighs 2,6 kg. I wish there were cheap fullrange drivers with neodiym magnets, so I could cut the weight some more. I'll post some pictures when I get the paintjob and clearcoat done.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.