Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th December 2011, 05:39 PM   #51
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

I still think it needs simple instructions on how to add a picture if threads are going to be directed here.

When I first joined diyAudio, I didn't know and had to ask for help.
Old 4th December 2011, 05:45 PM   #52
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Pano,
Until the new software is released and tweaked till we have what we need, can you add a post0 which shows the icons to be clicked to get a pic attached?
Old 4th December 2011, 08:20 PM   #53
benb is offline benb  United States
diyAudio Member

I just had another thought, when you see someone else in a thread linking to a pic offsite (and it's reasonable to copy it, meaning it's within fair use and such), you can copy the pic, upload and attach it to your own post so that years later if/when the link goes away, the copy of the pic is still on the diyaudio server and still in the thread.

Presuming such a thing passes Administration Approval, of course.

I presume this place has many gigglebytes of online pic storage?
Old 4th December 2011, 09:03 PM   #54
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Jason says that storage and server power are not a problem, so attaching is fine. I think we are on cloud server anyway.

When you to attach photos or graphs there is an attachment button down below the post window. Just scroll down and you see it. See image 1 below.
When you click that button there will be a small pop-up window that allows you to choose and upload your files (see image 2). E-Z!

Note also that the manage attachments button will not be present if you are using the Quick Reply option. You can simply click on Go Advanced (see the third attachment) to get the option. Also if you edit a post you will need to click on Go Advanced to get the Manage Attachments option.
Attached Images
File Type: png attatch-1.png (20.0 KB, 137 views)
File Type: png attatch-2.png (13.4 KB, 135 views)
File Type: png quick_reply.png (103.5 KB, 111 views)

Last edited by wintermute; 5th December 2011 at 01:30 AM. Reason: add info about quick reply
Old 5th December 2011, 07:03 AM   #55
diyAudio Moderator

Thanks Pano and Wintermute.

Could this be put at the top somewhere like Andrew suggested such that it's the first thing that's seen in the thread.

When I attach piccys I click the "close this window" tab after they have uploaded which allows me to see and carry on typing if needed. The files show as attached on the message.

Depending on where and how the attach window appears on a PC it might obscure the submit button leaving folk wondering what to do next etc.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just as an aside to the attaching pictures, another forum I use (same layout etc as this) recently started allowing guest members to view attachments without being them being registered and signed in users. The reason was that many folk were registering who had no intention of contributing. Since then it was reported that the sign up rate declined dramatically. I wouldn't know whether that was a good thing or not really.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 5th December 2011, 07:16 AM   #56
diyAudio Moderator

And this is why we need instructions,
having hard time with lm317/337
Old 7th December 2011, 07:29 AM   #57
diyAudio Moderator

I'm curious what you see when you open this thread ?
Leak Stereo 30 Overhaul... Worth it?

In post #1 I see the circuit diagram displayed as a large oversized image pushing the margins off the screen, but it only does it on a first view.

My PC knowledge is lacking here as I don't know why this particular scenario happens.

If I now exit the thread and then return or just click "refresh" that particular image is now neatly sized and the same as the other three. If I now click this image it opens full size, click again and it returns back down. The picture is then OK even on any subsequent visits to the thread.

If I now clear my temp files etc (full delete of IE9 history) the picture then opens to the original massive size again on the first viewing and therafter is OK again.

So something is being stored in my browser cache I would think.

Whether this is something that is browser/PC/OS specific I don't know.

The thread I mentioned in post #41 was far far worse than this but the reason I couldn't find find it is I think because it probably just does it once like this one.

This is what I see for a first view,
Attached Images
File Type: gif Capture.GIF (107.3 KB, 99 views)

Last edited by Mooly; 7th December 2011 at 07:35 AM.
Old 7th December 2011, 07:42 AM   #58
diyAudio Member

Mooly, I often get the same thing, using Firefox 8 and Win Vista. A humongous pic on first view, then everything's OK after that. I don't have any explanation.
Old 7th December 2011, 07:46 AM   #59
diyAudio Moderator

So it's not just me then. I use Vista and IE9.
Old 7th December 2011, 04:37 PM   #60
benb is offline benb  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofaspud View Post
Mooly, I often get the same thing, using Firefox 8 and Win Vista. A humongous pic on first view, then everything's OK after that. I don't have any explanation.
The browser displays the humongous pic full size when the page first loads, then apparently scales it to the screen size after that. I've noticed the "+ in a circle" icon over pics in this forum - clicking the pic makes it full size (even if it's larger than my 1600x1200 screen, it's scrollable to show different parts), then clicking the pic again scales it to within the screen size.

I don't have (much of) a problem with such pics, especially if it can take advantage of the higher resolution of an oversized pic, such as a large, dense schematic.

Hide this!Advertise here!