Pictures -- Why Not attach Them ?? - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th March 2011, 04:44 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

I prefer Preview.app in Mac OSX because I prefer to organize my images differently rather than the iPhoto library scheme but if you use iPhoto to organize your photos it would be more convenient to use iPhoto since you can't easily get at original images without launching it.

On Windows or Linux grab a copy of Google's free Picasa. All the tools you need.

Do a histogram check, adjust if necessary (usually is), sharpen (be aggressive) and then reduce to image size in pixels. Use the "save as" command (to avoid overwriting your original) and save as JPEG. The slider shows you a live preview of the detail you'll get and the final file size it will be.

About a minute of your time.

I've attached an example I made for an eBay auction, 102 kB 800x600.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01344.jpg (97.0 KB, 214 views)
" ... Go back to the beginning of a technology before the priesthood was established; that was the time when people were communicating information, not proving why there needs to be Priests. This is why the old texts tend to be so good. ..."
Old 10th March 2011, 05:14 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

How to adjust histograms:

Do all adjustments on the original (full size) image, but don't save.

Move the two outside arrows so that they meet the "mountain". Move the middle arrow to reduce shadows and therefore increase shadow detail. Don't move it so much that the highlights wash out (turn white).

Then sharpen aggressively.

Then you can adjust size last.

Then use the "save as" command (NOT the "save" command) so you don't overwrite the original high-resolution image, and use the tools available to reduce file size to your target JPEG size.

Then close the original high-resolution image WITHOUT saving.

This is a very quick routine and doesn't require fancy photo editing software; almost anything will have these tools.

You can see that the photo improved in the second image over the first, just by these two simple adjustments alone; and that's about all you need to do. they're both 76 kB.

You would not necessarily do the same things to photos you intended to print out, but for uploading to a forum it's quick-and-dirty and gets the job done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen shot 2011-03-10 at 11.51.41 AM.jpg (73.9 KB, 207 views)
File Type: jpg Screen shot 2011-03-10 at 11.52.27 AM.jpg (74.2 KB, 200 views)
" ... Go back to the beginning of a technology before the priesthood was established; that was the time when people were communicating information, not proving why there needs to be Priests. This is why the old texts tend to be so good. ..."

Last edited by Johnny2Bad; 10th March 2011 at 05:22 PM.
Old 11th March 2011, 11:41 AM   #33
poynton is offline poynton  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: A life on the ocean waves when I'm not at home in N. Wales (but I'm not Welsh so no sheep jokes!)
Interesting that some of the 'smaller' pictures were larger than supposed 'bigger' ones.

It just proves to me that posting using photobucket and the rest is completely unnecessary.

Andy

Old 11th March 2011, 12:00 PM   #34
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poynton View Post

Ban PHOTOBUCKET !!
and all similar pic links should be automatically intercepted by the Forum software.
Old 11th March 2011, 01:19 PM   #35
poynton is offline poynton  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: A life on the ocean waves when I'm not at home in N. Wales (but I'm not Welsh so no sheep jokes!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
and all similar pic links should be automatically intercepted by the Forum software.
Absolutely !!

The pics posted above prove my point.

Andy

Old 12th March 2011, 03:50 PM   #36
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny2Bad View Post
I prefer Preview.app in Mac OSX because I prefer to organize my images differently rather than the iPhoto library scheme
Yes I agree. I use it to download and export only. I of course shoot everything at high res and for work shots I only require around 100k so this is an easy way for me, the non-geek type.
Old 12th March 2011, 05:11 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

Irfanview is also a very nice free photo editor.

CH
Old 15th June 2011, 12:56 PM   #38
Dr_EM is offline Dr_EM  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Second the post above. Nothing easier and more efficient than Irfan view for simple image processing and saving/opening a huge multitude of file formats. Essential free software!
Old 6th October 2011, 03:31 AM   #39
benb is offline benb  United States
diyAudio Member

I see the OP's rant about Photobucket - I've had an account there for five or seven years (since I was selling on ebay), and all the pics I've put up there are still there. If you're going to display someone else's pics, regardless of where they're from (and it's public domain or reasonable to assume your copying is "fair use"), it makes sense to copy it to your own account rather than hot-link to their pic (for many reasons - many sites/users disallow hotlinking, and some may replace the pic with shameful obscenities when they find it being hotlinked).

But then I read Pano's blog posting mentioned earlier in this thread, and there's a comment:
Quote:
Those on filesharing sites are blocked by the company filters.
which I hadn't considered - this person may never see my pics from photobucket, and I suppose that's a good enough reason to upload/attach pics to posts here on diyaudio rather than use another site.

For resizing I've recently used Gimp - it may be overkill and a steepish learning curve, but I've finally figured out which Special Menu Items to use (select/resize/copy, then create new file from clipboard) for resizing.
Old 6th October 2011, 08:00 AM   #40
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Thanks Ben,
I'm sad to have to admit it's two of my pet hates as well. Broken links to pics and pics that take far too long to download.

Hide this!Advertise here!