diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Everything Else (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/everything-else/)
-   -   Bybee Music Rails (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/everything-else/182070-bybee-music-rails.html)

anatech 28th January 2011 09:15 PM

Bybee Music Rails

Well, we have another product from the fertile mind of Jack Bybee to consider. These are supposed to filter, or clean, noise from the DC power supply rails to the circuit in order to improve performance.

Advance information is on Jack Bybee's web site, with availability (hopefully) soon. I think that it would be wise to look at the actual claimed performance for the two sets. From what I read, there is a 2 ampere and 15 ampere set for positive and negative rails. That makes four models in total.

I wonder how many 15 ampere models are required for a Krell amplifier? One of the bigger boys they sell.

This thread is for actual measurements on a sample, if that ever comes to pass. Subjective opinions without supporting measurements are for another thread, should anyone feel like opening one.

Is this thread too early? Maybe, but if the product is announced, it would be nice to be ready for it. Apparently these were debuted at CES this year, so maybe it's not too early.

I would love any manufacturer's data on these devices to be posted.

As always, discussion is about the thing or idea, not the people behind them.

-Chris

ostripper 28th January 2011 10:15 PM

First , what is it ? http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazin...e_15a_chip.gif

Just a overpriced 12 pin regulator ?

Reading about it ... Bybee Music Rails Delivering unique and revolutionary quieting technology with power supply noise reduction in A/V components. Review By Wayne Donnelly

I see the familiar "buzzwords" (quantum , F/1 noise) Since it is designed as a upgrade for the "OEM market" , maybe it won't cost an arm and a leg. Who would spend $1000 for 2 modules to put in their $400 HT receiver ?

OS

Brett 28th January 2011 10:44 PM

"The Music Rail reduces power supply noise up to 45 dB"

That claim will be very easy to test.

SY 28th January 2011 11:16 PM

The key words are "up to."

Ron E 28th January 2011 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SY (Post 2449878)
The key words are "up to."

:D

DSP_Geek 29th January 2011 02:26 AM

Heat sunk with additional pins? Sounds like a capacitance multiplier.

godfrey 29th January 2011 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSP_Geek (Post 2450015)
Sounds like a capacitance multiplier.

Yes, but only filtering higher frequencies. It would run into trouble trying to eliminate mains ripple, without knowing the amplitude.

At least there's no claims of magic here. If it is just a half-decent active filter (which is all that's claimed), I'd expect it to give a worthwhile performance boost to badly designed "high-end" equipment.*

Trashed equipment and voided warranties could be problem, though. Hopefully it doesn't come with a "Beginner's guide to soldering" pamphlet. :D

* ...as opposed to properly engineered equipment like the Blowtorch, which already has more regulators than you can shake a stick at.

jan.didden 29th January 2011 09:08 AM

I wonder why this is discussed on diy audio? Does it have any value for diy?

jan didden

PMA 29th January 2011 09:20 AM

Yes. The most sad issue of last months is that 'sensations' attract most attention, not diy circuit design or serious design issues. I understand the reason, anyone has something to add in such kind of discussion.

ostripper 29th January 2011 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSP_Geek (Post 2450015)
Heat sunk with additional pins? Sounds like a capacitance multiplier.

Most likely , with a HV MOSFET and a "qauntum purifier" in the circuit. :D It would be effective , they (the consumer) WOULD hear a difference. "Mucho" profit margin , $5 circuit will fetch hundreds. :eek:

OS