Bybee Music Rails - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 29th January 2011, 10:05 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostripper View Post
Most likely , with a HV MOSFET and a "qauntum purifier" in the circuit. It would be effective , they (the consumer) WOULD hear a difference. "Mucho" profit margin , $5 circuit will fetch hundreds.

OS
Vicor has something like that since the 90'ies; they call it RAM (ripple attenuator module).
Since you can't look into this module, there's no need for a BQP, is there

jan didden

Old 29th January 2011, 10:12 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

AVE...

For me this is another incarnation of quantum purifiers. I've seen dozens of power conditioners, both AC and DC. In all cases these were frauds with fancy names...

If your amp has good DC/DC converter, or voltage regulator, or huge bank of capacitors, then DC ripple shouldn't exceed 10-100mV. In most cases it's less than 10mV p-p. When you have +/-60V supply, then it would be 0.016% or less. It might matter if there is single stage of high gain, say 1000 or more - then even this ripple can become a problem. But I've never seen single stage of amplifier with gain of 1000...

Audiophiles are obsessed with "improving" everything. But they have no technical knowledge, so they will buy anything if it has proper advertisement. And the audiophile magazines also do their dirty work of confusing the gullible. It got to the point of absurdity when they heard the difference between power cords. They just forgot about thousand miles of cheap and crappy cables between power plant and the wall socket...

If someone here will buy this magical box of audio nirvana, please start with disassembling it - you'll probably find resistor inside...

Old 29th January 2011, 10:31 AM   #13
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

PS noise is an issue when the circuits aren't designed to have good PSR. Power supply design is straightforward and well-established.

Congratulations, the hype campaign has started in earnest and we've contributed!

Old 29th January 2011, 10:32 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urgon View Post
AVE...

For me this is another incarnation of quantum purifiers. I've seen dozens of power conditioners, both AC and DC. In all cases these were frauds with fancy names...

If your amp has good DC/DC converter, or voltage regulator, or huge bank of capacitors, then DC ripple shouldn't exceed 10-100mV. In most cases it's less than 10mV p-p. When you have +/-60V supply, then it would be 0.016% or less. It might matter if there is single stage of high gain, say 1000 or more - then even this ripple can become a problem. But I've never seen single stage of amplifier with gain of 1000...

Audiophiles are obsessed with "improving" everything. But they have no technical knowledge, so they will buy anything if it has proper advertisement. And the audiophile magazines also do their dirty work of confusing the gullible. It got to the point of absurdity when they heard the difference between power cords. They just forgot about thousand miles of cheap and crappy cables between power plant and the wall socket...

If someone here will buy this magical box of audio nirvana, please start with disassembling it - you'll probably find resistor inside...
Of course there will be a resistor inside (surely at least a few). What is described is what both a RFI filter/capacitance multiplier combo would do. I already have the cap mults. and they DO reduce PSRR by 45db @ 200hz - 10khz , not much above that. The RFI part is more elusive. Those of us with PC based sources and large toriods should just look at the AC lines (even the ground) with a fast CRO ... yikes !!! In fact, our houses .. with CFL's and small SMPS's everywhere , is one big Xmitter !!

My next project is a high current RFI "killer".

This is funny .... "The Music Rails will not be sold to DIY hobbyists"
wonder why ???

OS

Last edited by ostripper; 29th January 2011 at 10:36 AM.

Old 29th January 2011, 10:53 AM   #15
diyAudio Moderator

Ostripper, I haven't looked closely- how many terminals?

Old 29th January 2011, 11:05 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Picture's gone ??? I suppose it will have to "immortalized" (below).

Sure looks like 12 from here.
I guess we will never see the insides , one has to pass the interview phase just to be considered "authorized". I'm sure that would be instantly revoked and legal IP invoked if the magic rail ever appeared here. I'm surprised this did not happen with the purifier.
OS
Attached Images
File Type: gif immortal.gif (71.4 KB, 465 views)

Old 29th January 2011, 11:15 AM   #17
diyAudio Moderator

Unintentionally accurate labeling in that photo?

Old 29th January 2011, 11:27 AM   #18
diyAudio Moderator

Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?

Old 29th January 2011, 11:38 AM   #19
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
Unintentionally accurate labeling in that photo?
Squint and the '2' looks like an 'S'.

Other than to hold this product up to ridicule, I don't see the purpose of this thread. As mentioned above, it should have little interest for DIY audio.
Also, any publicity is good publicity, or so I've heard.

Old 29th January 2011, 12:11 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Those who would buy these would not be dissuaded by even an objective "debunking". They would believe "the experts" , not the DIY'ers. Most high end relies on ignorance as the business model. So even if presented with the hard evidence , most high end consumers would go with the "hype" and reviewers opinion. So , yes ... debating the product gives more free advertising to people that make purchases based on faith.

OS

PS - I guess we should be thankful we are even allowed to debunk high-end at DIYA , as it is at least a percentage of the enthusiast cash flow.

Closed Thread

Hide this!Advertise here!