Bybee Music Rails ®

Status
Not open for further replies.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The most sad issue of last months is that 'sensations' attract most attention, not diy circuit design or serious design issues.

I agree! What is this place, the audio version of "E-News"?

In less than a day this thread already has 100 more views than a thread about room acoustic treatments. Something that actually works, can be measured and is real DIY.

Sad indeed. :(

I think this is the patent.
NOISE REDUCTION CIRCUITS
A noise reduction circuit for AC power, AC power neutral lines, and DC power. In a first embodiment for use with AC power, the invention operates by subtracting the error voltage from an incoming AC signal boosted in voltage by a small boost transformer. In a second embodiment, the present invention reduces noise in AC power neutral lines by effectively operating as a power corrector and reduces unwanted noise on the neutral line at all frequencies without introducing unwanted current in the ground line. In a third embodiment, the invention reduces noise in DC power supplies.

Its 46 pages

rgds
James

The Bybee 'Music Rails' works, especially after switching supplies. It uses a design that has a higher 'working bandwidth' than most approaches. The guy working with Jack on the project is a multiple degreed engineer-physicist (not me) who designs microwave IC's at the moment, for a living. Used to work at HP, big-time. He and I designed an amp together, one of the best I have ever heard, I wish that I could get one for myself.

AVE...

For me it still sounds like big pile of bull droppings. Even if it was designed by NASA with CERN, it would be big pile of bull droppings. Anyone with basic knowledge of electronics will know this. And for me any supporter of bybee magical devices is either an electronics ignorant, or a layer...

Next time, John, try to sacrifice a goat to the proper Loa from (Audio)Voodoo religion and see, if it will improve the sound. It probably would work better than those music rails...

For me it still sounds like big pile of bull droppings. Even if it was designed by NASA with CERN, it would be big pile of bull droppings. Anyone with basic knowledge of electronics will know this. And for me any supporter of bybee magical devices is either an electronics ignorant, or a layer...

Why? It seems to me to be a variation on the noise stripper AC shunt type of circuit ala John Lindsey-Hood mounted in an extremely convenient package. It also looks reasonably priced.

Are you sure you are not confusing this with the other products Bybee markets?

So what is the "basic electronic knowledge" I am lacking please?

Rob.

Last edited:
I'm terribly new at all this, but this is supposed to do what? Eliminate noise? Here's my question, maybe I've never had a high-end amp, but, I don't hear but a tiny tiny bit of noise on my crappy store-bought 5.1 amp, and that's only when it's dead silent. So I mean, what exactly is this supposed to do, eliminate that?

And just for my own personal reference, I wouldn't buy something with the internet slang for piece of sh** on it.

What is mostly uncontroversial in most circles is the benefit of filtering a "DC" power supply, that is what the "noise" is referring to, the removal of AC components in a DC supply. And no, unless the noise is at mains frequency or a close harmonic it will not necessarily be audible as noise at your speakers.

What appears to be controversial here is whether or not that device does as advertised. If it does, why would you object to buying it due to the name?

The Bybee music rails are made as an add-on to the power supply of a power amp or preamp. Unless you have the most expensive, (read technically sophisticated) amps and preamps, don't bother with it. You can buy a Sony AM-FM tuner for the same price. Enjoy that or 20 Big Macs, instead. It is real help for some power supply problems, especially switching supplies.

Last edited:
AVE...

It is claimed by Bybee and various "reviewers" that this device will cause dramatic change in the sound quality. Which is bull droppings. It is claimed that this device can reduce the DC noise by the factor of 45dB, which is circa 31623 times. This makes the noise of 100mV p-p (worst case scenario) reduced to mere 3,1uV p-p. This one thing make it as plausible as the existence of life on the surface of the sun...

In almost every case the best way to deal with noise is either low pass LC filter in SMPS circuits (which is included in all power supplies of this type) or capacitor bank. Adding anything else may be an overkill. Adding any type of shunt regulator (even this "great" creation of Bybee) after capacitor bank or SMPS will make the amp underpowered when it needs an extra impulse of power...

If you have a sophisticated amp or preamp, it is a huge chance that it has a sophisticated power supply. Messing around with it is both stupid, unnecessary and dangerous...

they do appear to be attracting a lunatic fringe...

Bybee Music Rail......a revolution in purity!

Note the endless prattling about how fantastic the device is compared ot without, but... no data.

The usual giveaway lines of ausiophoolery such as heard things I never heard before, reduced noise floor, blah blah blah...

I won't even go NEAR the comments on the usefulness of these devices on a battery supply.

Larfable. Or Barfable, yourt call.

It is claimed by Bybee and various "reviewers" that this device will cause dramatic change in the sound quality. Which is bull droppings. It is claimed that this device can reduce the DC noise by the factor of 45dB, which is circa 31623 times. This makes the noise of 100mV p-p (worst case scenario) reduced to mere 3,1uV p-p. This one thing make it as plausible as the existence of life on the surface of the sun...

Oh you have heard them and determined the effect on sound quality, sorry I didn't realise. Either that or you made this pronouncement without hearing them, which would of course be ludicrous.

I didn't realise you had measured them either, my bad. Actually I think they say they can reduce noise up to 40-45db, I guess you can publish your test measurements and put us right if this claim is incorrect. I have actually heard of a regulator dropping power supply ripple by 45db.. but there again I must be lacking in basic electronic knowledge.

Last edited:
AVE...

@DF96...

You are right - my math sucks...

@Robert F...

Can you hear those 100mV p-p of noise in your amp in normal operation? I was able to hear it when noise reached about 450-600mV p-p, and then only when input was shorted to the ground. Anyway if you have noise problems - add another capacitor. It's better and cheaper than those fantastic magical devices...

And I don't believe anyone, who can tell that he or she heard the difference. The difference is caused because people of certain stupidity to cash spent on audio ratio are listening with their wallets and credit cards...

Status
Not open for further replies.