Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Dying diy moral.
Dying diy moral.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th January 2011, 02:19 AM   #61
MJL21193 is offline MJL21193  Canada
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostripper View Post
A whole new forum section , where things would be semi-permanent.
Nice idea.
It wouldn't have to be separate though - it could be like an index or directory at the top of each forum, directing members to completed or ongoing projects. It could replace the underused "favorite threads and posts" sticky and be kept free of comment by the mods.
Old 30th January 2011, 02:28 AM   #62
ostripper is offline ostripper  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJL21193 View Post
Nice idea.
It wouldn't have to be separate though - it could be like an index or directory at the top of each forum, directing members to completed or ongoing projects. It could replace the underused "favorite threads and posts" sticky and be kept free of comment by the mods.
Very good ... solid state would have it's own <projects> area , same with speakers. If the projects had enough keywords (standardized) ,one could search "100w / BJT" and come up with the group (list). Comments could go to the associated thread(s) - PM or otherwise.

To keep a confusion from creeping in , a tight standard would be essential.

This has a commercial benefit , as well. Each project could also link to sourcing - PCB's (suppliers)
OS

Last edited by ostripper; 30th January 2011 at 02:32 AM.
Old 30th January 2011, 02:39 AM   #63
Pano is online now Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Dying diy moral.
Mmmmm...... who chooses the projects, the mods?
Old 30th January 2011, 02:57 AM   #64
ostripper is offline ostripper  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
Mmmmm...... who chooses the projects, the mods?
Committee .. yes. A project would have to be built multiple times , free from errors - safety issues. There is enough brainpower around to discern these things. Look at the NIAM kits out there , I'm surprised they didn't have legal issues. If a project conforms to the basic criteria , regardless if someone says it sounds better or worse , it should be included.

Basically , a standard is set up ... like the forum rules <project rules> , all submitted material would have to adhere to specific formats (600DPI JPG/PDF-for pcb artwork) and other basic formats ( minimum design quality/safety). A BOM / instructions would have to be included , anything needed to make the project "standalone". The design standard could be as simple as the guidelines set forth by Self/Cordell for linear amplifiers.

If a project DID have negative feedback , especially in the safety/errata arena , unless the creator addressed this ... the project would be removed (sinbinned ). So , a "ratings" scheme would police itself , making for project "bliss".

If you combined my projects , MJL21193 , DX , Apex , and Dr. bora/Quasi ... you would have nearly 100 projects right off the bat.

OS

Last edited by ostripper; 30th January 2011 at 03:05 AM.
Old 30th January 2011, 03:19 AM   #65
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

Dying diy moral.
it is also to some extent your own responsibility as members
for one, choosing a thread title carefully, etc, etc

now, if we look at F5 thread
its grown exstremely large
would have been very easy to have multiple F5 threads

its beyond me why noone opens a F5 thread with focus on adjustments
there are lots of options to make it all a great deal more organised

the tools are there
its just matter of using them better
that is if anyone cares about it
Old 30th January 2011, 07:19 AM   #66
mosfets is offline mosfets  Canada
diyAudio Member

I like the diy audio site the way it is. If you can't figure it out, then you are a retard. I like finding needles in hay stacks. Every now and then I get a good one and stick it in my arm...what a rush. You know, crack heads don't get crack for free, they "work" for it.

I think we should all sing for our supper.

Trees with ripe fruit hanging on the limbs just waiting for you to take it? What ever happened to planting and watering and nurturing the prospect?

I say, "hide all the best posts here under the carpet" and only the strong survive. Nelson Pass, John Curl and all the legends should flip everybody the bird and tell us all to take a hike. Go fly a kite. Go change the oil in your car. Go shovel the driveway. Go take yer better half out for sushi. Just...go. Go away with all the problematic bull that we generate by breathing the very air we take for granted.

That was a fun post. I feel better now but now I must go...
Old 30th January 2011, 07:45 AM   #67
diyAudio Member

...we should do this. They should do that. Bla Bla Bla... my size 10 boot in yer assssk me no questions, I will tell you no lies, before you get hit with a bucket of shiiiit, be shure to close yer eyes.

Take the best of this site and glean it away to another site, locked with no open forum. Index the junk and title it well. Voila, a companion site! An index of projects! Why talk about it? If you want it, do it. Don't moan and groan about it. Exaybachay!
Old 30th January 2011, 08:13 AM   #68
diyAudio Member

To the Mods: Now you really got me thinking. Can a seperate pool of donations be generated to fund the hosting of another website? Can a fund raiser be held here on DIY AUDIO to promote a companion site? "This site' in my mind would only be an index of stored projects organized by category. No open forum for debate but just a pure clinical index of projects, schematics, images and files. I know it can be done but can the DIY Audio Dudes spare the extension to bring it along?

If not, who cares? The DIY Audio community could build it themselves? I think there may be legalities and a bit of paper work but it is a labour of love. Why not? I do not have the money right now as I am out of work but I do have the time. Lets get together and make it happen?
Old 30th January 2011, 09:23 AM   #69
pinkmouse is offline pinkmouse  Europe
diyAudio Moderator

Dying diy moral.
Folks, we already have that facility. Just write up your project as an article, and submit it to Mark, (Variac), our editor in chief.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 30th January 2011, 09:44 AM   #70
wintermute is offline wintermute  Australia
just another
diyAudio Moderator

Dying diy moral.
One simple way I have seen the problem of updates, latest pcb etc dealt with at other forums is for the first post in the project thread to remain editable by the thread starter. The thread starter then just puts the latest info in the first post.

Sometimes they even have that first post remain sticky at the top of the page for each subsequent page of posts.

Another option would be to have an optional sticky "header" which has a link to a blog entry. The sticky header would need to be concise and possibly just have something like "for the latest details of this project click here to be taken to the blog entry". This could be put either at the top of each page, or to really hammer it home at the top of every post

Of course it will be the project creators responsibility to keep the blog entry up to date.

Yet another option would be to have the same as above but have a wiki entry instead of a blog. This would mean that anyone could edit it (or perhaps a group of allowed editors could be defined), meaning it wouldn't be a sole persons responsibility to keep it up to date...

Just a few thoughts I too have found the thought of going through thousands of posts a bit daunting, as unfortunately I'm not a fast reader.

Tony.

Dying diy moral.Hide this!Advertise here!