Good way to keep laptop cool??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I'll second that.
Have a tech clean the fan(s) and heatsinks inside the laptop (or do it yourself iff you know how to), they can accumulate incredible amounts of dust in a short time, which of course restricts airflow and heat transfer from the heatsinks.
Disable services that cause a lot of HDD activity, and set the lowest possible (useful) CPU speed.
Make sure the laptop still has the little rubber feet it originally came with, they keep it's body elevated thus allowing for some radiation and convectional cooling.
Don't run a power-hog like Vista.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
A lot depends on what processes are running... on a web page such as this it should remain cool with the fan hardly cutting in. Does the laptop have a lot of preinstalled "bloatware" supplied by the manufacturer that is running ? Operating system ?

Many security packages cause a lot of CPU activity. Intense graphics applications another.

This screenshot was taken just now with this webpage open. This is the supposedly slow running resource hogging Vista :) on a balanced power plan. Microsoft Security Essentials as the AV

Attachments

• Resources.JPG
    Resources.JPG
    158.9 KB · Views: 103
I had this problem. My laptop kept overheating and crashing during the summer I was typing up my thesis. Dell support talked me through disabling some of the background junk. That helped. In addition, in hot weather I balance the back on a pencil (or something similar) to get some air flow underneath. I also now run it at low speed (battery mode) even when running on mains power.

Reread the first post and noticed...

If it gets hot enough to shut off, and the vents are not blocked, it is faulty and you should check the cooling system.

Because regardless of operating system, background processes, room temperature, a computer isn't supposed to shut down during CPU-intensive stuff like prime95 or Linpack. You may be able to circumvent the problem by not running the CPU at full speed/voltage or not loading the CPU but still the CPU isn't capable of doing what it is spec-ed to do.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.