Looking for advice on home recording.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I posted this in the introduction section a few days ago. I've been browsing other sections since then and have found interesting information, but think my questions would be answered more directly if I just ask them here. Thanks in advance for any advice!

A friend who lives in a different state and I have been discussing starting a music project. We've been in a couple of bands together in person, but I've recently moved. Since we won't be able to practice together, we need a means of sending recordings back and forth. I see this as a great opportunity to get into diy music production! I'd like to read some books on music production to understand the foundational principles before/as I get started. I'll want to record electric guitar and vocals. My friend will want to record bass and vocals, and we'll probably use samples for drums. The style of music will be metal. Suggestions on good books, hardware, software (I have a mac, and my friend has a pc), and methods will be greatly appreciated!

I don't have any suggestions on books, but I suggest you get yourself a digital (or analog) multitrack, it will teach you alot about the hands-on aspects of recording, plugging in cables, using the machine and lingo that goes with the whole recording process. I recommend this more than the computer SW packages that exist because to use them you have to buy yourself a good soundcard or a microphone preamp that plugs into your soundcard and that's a hassle if all you want to do is just make music. At least, I find. Plus, it,s more time in from of the computer, the distraction of choice today.

Anyway, I'm not dissing diyaudio (I love this site) but go see homerecordingforums or gearslutz those are the places to hang out with people in the recording/homestudio business.

Cheers!

2N1305

we need a means of sending recordings back and forth. I see this as a great opportunity to get into diy music production! I'd like to read some books on music production to understand the foundational principles before/as I get started. I'll want to record electric guitar and vocals. My friend will want to record bass and vocals, and we'll probably use samples for drums.

Upon re-reading this, maybe it would be more advantageous to use a computer recording method. My original suggestion was based on the convenient fact
that you could download the stuff in the multitrack into your computer and edit it with the software package of your choice. For example the Zoom R16 comes with cubase. However, the Zoom is not cheap... At least not when I bought it.

I'd just say buy pretty much any book for starting in home recording and as you read it and understand more, you'll come to know what you need to know. You know what I mean?:rolleyes:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.