Is high-end audio just lots of gimmicks and high price tags ?? - Page 50 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th February 2011, 09:36 AM   #491
diyAudio Member

I am a big fun of Wadia decoding computers and Italian Graaf gear (OTL tube stuff Black Gates internally - out of production nowadays as I heard).

In US Maggies is a must have imho. They are very pricey and rear outside of US but in US could be purchased second hand at ridiculous low bargain price being lucky enough. A little bit tricky in setup and amplification in order to reveal full potential of these speakers however vocal and organ records reproduction on Magneplanars is absolutely astonishing.

Cary Xciter setup looks very intriguing designed to be used for direct computer playback.
Old 6th February 2011, 09:58 AM   #492
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The minimum wage in 1970 was $1.60 an hour.
I know minimum wage in 1978 was $2.65 an hour because that is when I got my first job and it payed me $2.00 an hour but did not ask me for proof of my age. I was 14 and you had to be 16 to work so I said I was 16 and they took my word for it but they obviously knew I wasn't and that's why they paid me 2 bucks an hour.
Old 17th June 2011, 07:20 PM   #493
diyAudio Member

Here is my advise, you get what you pay for. You should buy the best with what your money can buy in any purchase.

Good luck.
Old 17th June 2011, 07:28 PM   #494
Banned

DIY is the way to go. Have a look at my Aleph 4 Stricktly DIY thread. I built am impressive (15K+) amp for less than 500.
Old 20th June 2011, 07:17 AM   #495
diyAudio Member

This reminds me of a doctor(Physician).

There was this doctor who was charging in par with the other general practitioners. He had very few patients/customers.

One day he raised his fees, and from that day, he started getting more patients.

Now see the effect. The doctor, his treatment and other parameters r the same. Only increased cost and people think he is good.

That's human behaviour.

Gajanan Phadte
Old 20th June 2011, 07:53 AM   #496
diyAudio Member

^^ I know of a struggling beer brand that was marketed the same way. It worked. I agree that the same thing applies to audio, but I don't think it's near the whole story. Quality certainly has its price, but more expensive isn't always better (quality).
But since you brought up medicine, a recent point of discussion here, a person could argue that a placebo-type effect for the doctor's new patients would help cure them. So he's providing the needed treatment and the patients are receiving it and paying for it. Likewise if someone needs to spend upwards of six figures or more for an audio system to feel better and "hear it the way it's supposed to sound" there is someone out there to cure that jones. To summarize... "just" no, "lots" yes.
Old 20th June 2011, 07:56 AM   #497
Banned

I always say - Take your ears shopping.

Ultimately you are buying something to listen to. If you like the sound then buy it.

If you can't hear the difference then it would be a waste of money.
Old 20th June 2011, 10:07 PM   #498
diyAudio Member

well, an old thread but my first comment:
high end audio is a bit like high end automobiles...
Chrome makes it go faster and sound better!
I think the best advice is the oldest that I know: use you ears!;
unless you have to show off to your friends the magic beans you gave lots of cash for...
I have heard my share of bs and argument for 'which snake-oil works best,' but generally there is just enough good equipment to serve the market and a lot of crap to sell to the unwary.

Hide this!Advertise here!