Is high-end audio just lots of gimmicks and high price tags ?? - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th January 2011, 02:41 PM   #41
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
You've got a bit confused here, so I'll have a go at straightening out some of the history. The Nautilus itself (that's the only one costing 33,000UKP a pair) does not use any Kevlar nor any fixed suspension drive units (FSTs in the parlance). The FST came out with the Nautilus 800 range.

If you change 'Nautilus' to 'Nautilus 800 range (excluding the N805 which is a 2-way)' then this becomes correct, yes.
Absolute Bollox.

B&W 683 and Nautilus had woven Kevlar Mid Range Cones.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B_W.jpg (53.4 KB, 343 views)

Last edited by Pano; 16th January 2011 at 03:41 PM. Reason: reduced image size
Old 16th January 2011, 02:45 PM   #42
diyAudio Member

Its amplifier schematic is much along the lines published on this forum and still variations used in many high-end designs, so not much has changed in 40 years, just the price tag. It was as beautiful and easthetically pleasing as the highest of high end pieces available today. So why is sounding better than this or that such an issue, it has existed for many years and we still haven't come to any conclusion, amplifiers have sounded the same for decades. But nobody wants to admit it.
Old 16th January 2011, 02:46 PM   #43
diyAudio Member

You only need to spend a few thousand dollars to find out most of your recordings sound like crap anyway.
Old 16th January 2011, 02:50 PM   #44
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy5112405 View Post
Absolute Bollox.

B&W 683 and Nautilus had woven Kevlar Mid Range Cones.
I suppose you want to make a point that you have a B&W speaker. We will have to take your word for it.
Old 16th January 2011, 02:50 PM   #45
diyAudio Member

High end audio stuff only sells because of fancy precious looking housing and aggressive marketing. The electronics and acoustics inside are too often of the shabbiest kind.
And you need to find a fool to buy it: Someone with a deep wallet, not the slightest clue about electronics and the strong urge to "improve" his equipment by simple measures like buying overprices tuning equipment like cables and other useless junk. See the car tuners. Almost same story.
But this is not only a boy's game. You can fool the girls as well with tiny cute looking stuff that doesn't interfere with the interior too much.
A good example is Bose. High price, crappy technology, lots of marketing.
I'm not into audio that much and see everything from a neutral technical point of view and what I've seen since I got involved into the audio scene is funny and saddening at the same time. One day I will open a store selling all the voodoo stuff and become very rich...
Old 16th January 2011, 02:51 PM   #46
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Eckhardt View Post
You only need to spend a few thousand dollars to find out most of your recordings sound like crap anyway.

True Dat
(in the vernacular of those who esteem loud, compressed recordings.)
Old 16th January 2011, 02:53 PM   #47
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny2Bad View Post
At the end of the 1970's~early 1980's inflation was such that prices doubled every 4 years for a time. You have to get rid of the idea of what a dollar is worth to you now because it's always relative. At one time ground beef was more expensive than steak. In the early 70's $2.50 an hour was a very good wage, roughly equivalent to $20 or more an hour now.
If we pick 1973 to represent the "early 70's," adjusted for inflation, $2.50 comes out to just $11.94. My niece is making nearly that working at Starbucks.

Quote:
Minimum wage today is 10 times what it was in 1970.
The minimum wage in 1970 was $1.60 an hour. Today it's $7.25. Only 4.5 times hat it was. If it had kept pace with inflation, it would be $8.74.

Quote:
So was a $25 radio expensive in the early 1950's? You bet it was ... and that was no High End unit, believe me.
If we take 1953 to represent the "early 1950's," and using the 1953 Radio Shack catalog as a guide, you could get this 3 way portable radio for $24.95:

Click the image to open in full size.

And adjusted for inflation, $25 in 1953 would be $198.26 in today's dollars.

Today, this little Tivoli table top radio sells for about $150.00.

Click the image to open in full size.

Interestingly the Tivoli isn't much larger and weighs nearly the same, although it's not portable.

The 1953 radio was a discrete design using vacuum tubes and was made in the United States by workers making a decent wage. The Tivoli is based on integrated circuits and is made in China by workers making less than my grandfather made in the 1930s.

se
Old 16th January 2011, 02:55 PM   #48
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico Ras View Post
Launched in 1973 at a cost of around US$395
Expensive! That's about $1900 in today's dollars.
I remember those, always liked them.

Shortly after those came out, I stumbled into my first "Real Hi-Fi" store. The Pioneer and its Yamaha rivals were all in the front half of the shop. It was the Hi-Fi section. In the back was the "High End" room with Magnaplanar - the 3 panel Tympani speakers - and Audio Research electronics. Also Ampzilla and the single panel Maganapan. Revox R2R and some high end turntables. I was awe struck.

I remember actually walking around behind the Maggies (that I thought were just screens) to see who was playing the violin! No way could that have been a speaker - I was in the youth orchestra at the time, so knew very well what real instruments sounded like.

All that gear was far, far too expensive for me, but I could dream. And they were very kind to a poor kid like me. Let me hang around the shop to listen and ask silly questions for months. If that was high end, I was hooked. Have been ever since. It was a least a decade later that I discovered that I could actually build stuff as good, myself. Hello DIY.
Old 16th January 2011, 02:59 PM   #49
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Does this bring back memories of high-end of its time? Launched in 1973 at a cost of around US$395
I have it's little brother, the SA-6800. Great amp at 60WPC.
Old 16th January 2011, 03:10 PM   #50
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Its amplifier schematic is much along the lines published on this forum and still variations used in many high-end designs, so not much has changed in 40 years, just the price tag. It was as beautiful and easthetically pleasing as the highest of high end pieces available today. So why is sounding better than this or that such an issue, it has existed for many years and we still haven't come to any conclusion, amplifiers have sounded the same for decades. But nobody wants to admit it.
imagesCA958Z7O.jpg

Hide this!Advertise here!