Is high-end audio just lots of gimmicks and high price tags ?? - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th January 2011, 12:13 PM   #31
Banned

If there was an ultimate Hi-Fi then this whole thread would die. The cloners would copy it and we would all have one.

As you well know it's a very subjective subject. I hope that my post was equally subjective.

If you try to put an objective slant to Hi_fi you will ultimately fail.
Old 16th January 2011, 12:17 PM   #32
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy5112405 View Post
As I said. TAKE YOUR EARS SHOPPING.

I love the sound, isn't that what we are all striving towards.
The DM603 series did not use the experience gained from the Midrange units of the Nautilus.

The Nautilus and the DM683 were some of the few that used the Kevlar Midrange with minimum suspension. This was certainly not used in the earlier DM603.
Old 16th January 2011, 12:18 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Quote:
As I said. TAKE YOUR EARS SHOPPING.
I certainly don't leave them at home.

Quote:
I love the sound, isn't that what we are all striving towards.
Not all on this forum, no. But for me, yes that's what its all about. Make up whatever story you like for why you like it
Old 16th January 2011, 12:23 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Quote:
The DM603 series did not use the experience gained from the Midrange units of the Nautilus.
You've got a bit confused here, so I'll have a go at straightening out some of the history. The Nautilus itself (that's the only one costing 33,000UKP a pair) does not use any Kevlar nor any fixed suspension drive units (FSTs in the parlance). The FST came out with the Nautilus 800 range.

Quote:
The Nautilus and the DM683 were some of the few that used the Kevlar Midrange with minimum suspension. This was certainly not used in the earlier DM603.
If you change 'Nautilus' to 'Nautilus 800 range (excluding the N805 which is a 2-way)' then this becomes correct, yes.
Old 16th January 2011, 02:01 PM   #35
jez is offline jez  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

At least at one time in the past quality hifi really was a cut above the "also rans" both technically and subjectively. Coming from the U.K. I can mainly comment on British equipment but I'm sure it would have been the same around the world.
At the time when the Quad II, 22 and Leak Varislope, Stereo 20 were top dog amplifiers and Quad had the first electrostatic speaker (and Leak the Sandwich Cone speaker), equipment of this ilk really was in another league to the gear that most people had ever heard or seen. It was not however much to look at.
As time has gone by and technology has "improved" it is both cheap and easy to give this level of performance and better. So how do they now justify the high cost?? Fancy styling and bull**** marketing of course! Simples.
Old 16th January 2011, 02:11 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

In 1974 the British audio magazine Hi-Fi Answers, published their best system for the grand total of 1000 Pound Sterling consisted of Pioneer PL12D turntable fitted with SME 9" arm + Shure V15 MkIII, KEF Concerto loudspeakers and the highly acclaimed Pioneer SA9100 amplifier.

What would you pay for an equivalent system today.

Last edited by Nico Ras; 16th January 2011 at 02:15 PM.
Old 16th January 2011, 02:13 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

Default Snake oil forever

Barnum was wrong. There are several thousand suckers born every minute. Snake oil comes in many varieties, not just in audio.
Old 16th January 2011, 02:22 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

Quote:
If there was an ultimate Hi-Fi then this whole thread would die. The cloners would copy it and we would all have one.

As you well know it's a very subjective subject. I hope that my post was equally subjective.

If you try to put an objective slant to Hi_fi you will ultimately fail.
Likewise from a subjective point of view, a design from this forum could be one of the best there is except you can own it for a lot less outlay if you are willing to house it in a lot less glamorous enclosure

regards
trevor
Old 16th January 2011, 02:27 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

AVE...

My data was outdated. The typical power cord for audio-morons costs 6000USD. Next step in perfecting the sound it would be to replace all cables between local substation and your equipment...

I'm browsing trough the CES 2011 blogs from stereophile.com and I wonder, how stupid audiophiles are. A little quote about cables:
Quote:
“We find copper is more natural and musical-sounding,” Herbert explained.
All cables are made of copper. Not counting cables used in cheap PSU's for PC's - these are made of iron. The only thing that matters about cables is the resistance. And this is very, very small. These are calculations of resistance for 1 meter of copper wire. The only variable is the cross-sectional area of the cable in square millimeters:
Quote:
0,75 mm2 - 46,0 mOhm
1,00 mm2 - 34,5 mOhm
1,50 mm2 - 23,0 mOhm
2,00 mm2 - 17,2 mOhm
2,50 mm2 - 13,8 mOhm
3,00 mm2 - 11,5 mOhm
4,00 mm2 - 8,60 mOhm
6,00 mm2 - 5,70 mOhm
10,0 mm2 - 3,50 mOhm
Now this matters only when we are dealing with high voltages and currents. Just apply Ohm's Law and calculate either voltage drop across length of cable or current limitation of cable (you must know the voltage and/or current that's flowing across the cable). You can also calculate how much power will be lost if the cable is too thin. However this is not really important. If the cable has proper diameter, then it's not important, if it costs 2USD/m or 2000USD/m. I can prove it by doing a blind test - something that all audiophiles hate...
Old 16th January 2011, 02:28 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

Default Nostalgia

Does this bring back memories of high-end of its time? Launched in 1973 at a cost of around US$395
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SA9100b.jpg (98.5 KB, 400 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!