Is high-end audio just lots of gimmicks and high price tags ??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
AVE...
Nope , speaker upgrades tend to have a much larger impact on sound quality . Better drivers , as a "side effect" , allow one to better discern the differences in source's and electronics.
I agree that speakers can have huge impact on sound quality. However there is a certain amount of cash above it you can't hear the difference in blindfold test. From this point audiovoodoo begins...
The choice of caps in a crossover is audible as well , I swapped electro's for poly's (4.7u @100v) and the improvement was audible , especially at higher listening levels. On an amp's input cap, this same "swap" made no difference . The "bootstrap cap" on a amp is one instance that can be heard , swapping a cheap chinese NPO with a panasonic EE series is audible. I won't go to the blackgate level , but those caps do change electrically as the carbon "contaminants"... "bed down" :p .
Have you done the blindfold test? If not, then how can you tell it's not placebo/snake oil/homeopathy effect?
I will still use better components in the electronics .. not for the audiophile aspect , but to increase MTBF.
OS
I'm avoiding the cheapiest made in China no-name components just because they tend to explode or have very different parameters than is written on them. Imagine that 25 years old electrolytic capacitor made in Poland is still better than cheap Chinese product...

Hello

My first encounting with high end audio was in the early 80's, in a small audio store, Audiorama in Montreal, the woman who was the owner of the store was a real audio maniac, for years she let me listen to high end systems gears; Radford, Spendor, Naim, Quad, Pierre Clement, Lin sondek, etc... I've learn a lot there and since I was poor I did just buy her a Connoisseur BD2 turntable and a small Nad amp. My dream was to have a Radford amp and since 3 years I have a Radford HD-250, but now I use my own diy amp with an old Oracle turntable and a moded Adcom cd player.

Every years I go to the Montreal audio show, not very much amps sound good enough to match the high price they cost, over 10K$ for an amp you pay way too much anyway. And there is so much snake oils told to the visitors, in the past I was so insulted by the fool snake oils talks told by some salesmen that I did almost get angry and told them how much they was d*** ... Now I don't say a word and just laugh and walk away from the.

Bye

Gaetan

Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
My GF's dad owns ada...audio design associates.

I bet their stuff will put all the big manufacturers stuff to shame.

They are hand made in house in a local facility, quality and sound from them is amazing!

name another home stereo amp that does 600rms per channel

Products: Home Theater: Whole-House Power Amplifiers: MPA-502 - ADA

:D

Hi m R g S r,

Don't go gett'n your boxers all inna bunch there buddy - we are saying pretty much da same thing - just a different perspective.

From a quick look at the web site I would be inclined to agree with your assessment of the quality and design of GF's "dad's" gear. Ada isn't competing with the likes of Denon and Sony, etc. though - they are at a different level of client and use.

I enjoyed reading the "about us" page - great stuff!! :D:D:D

AVE...

I agree that speakers can have huge impact on sound quality. However there is a certain amount of cash above it you can't hear the difference in blindfold test. From this point audiovoodoo begins...

quite wrong for speakers - horns, lines, ribbons, ESL, differing dynamic divers, numbers of drivers, cabnet size, diffraction, polar radiation patterns, comb filtering, xover points...

no two differing construction speakers come close to matching to within ABX established frequency response noticable difference levels in a domestic room at the listening position

in fact not many serial construction speakers of the same model match to those levels without driver matching, padding and tweaking of the xovers

Last edited:
Hi John and OS and many who share the same sentiment, I don't think we design, build amps, speakers and stuff to achieve the best, because obviously what you make yourself is the best, but we are always intrigued by the fact of if did this different or that would it have sounded more to what I like to hear. I think John hit it on the nail - it is hard to tell.

But we still do it continually and compulsively. If any of us hard cases start adding up what we spent in time and money on our hobby over the years, a complete highest end system would barley brake the pocket change barrier.

Have you done the blindfold test? If not, then how can you tell it's not placebo/snake oil/homeopathy effect?

The difference was to me (subjective).But , the electro degrades with every electron passing through it and polyesters are more uniform ESR vs. time. Rod elliot does a test to show the superiority of the poly .. Capacitor Characteristics

He even mentions the "snake oil" cap .. :D
Maxim even confirms this in this app note.
Do Passive Components Degrade Audio Quality in Your Portable Device? - Maxim

Even as the "snake oil" effect can allow many $$$$ to flow from the pockets of unknowing audiophiles , there is some evidence that quality components DO improve performance in "real world" measurable instances.

OS

AVE...

Again, the most important question is:

CAN YOU HEAR THE DIFFERENCE?

The differences are too subtle for human ear to detect. It's all in your heads. And the manufacturers and audiophile's magazines use
headology manipulate people into buying better equipment, more expensive speakers, special cable elevators, power cords and power conditioners...

Think logically. I know, for some people it can be painful (especially if you just spent 100000USD on better speakers), but just try to be reasonable...

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Even as the "snake oil" effect can allow many $$$$ to flow from the pockets of unknowing audiophiles , there is some evidence that quality components DO improve performance in "real world" measurable instances.

OS

Some would say this is an example of selling snake oil. I don't know because I haven't tested it out. Hmmmmmmm........... who's up for a DIY clone???? :rolleyes:

Solen Electronique Inc.

Attachments

• triangle power cube.jpg
    triangle power cube.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 322
To clarify, this was per week, at an average of 40.1 hours worked.

My point was and I think we agree that it is not what was the best system, but what an esoteric system of the time was worth in relation to income, and I doubt if the ratios has changed in current times.

However one must not compare prices between mass manufactured hi volume products against hand made on the kitchen table products because it is unfair that a hand made system with all the built in errors, bad soldering, horrible wiring, components bought from some shady hobby electronics dealer fitted into some lovely case imported from China should not cost a fortune, obviously this guy can only build one unit per month and he has to make his whole salary plus parts for the next one with the sale. Is it better than the volume market, NO. Is it more reliable, NO so what is it just some esoteric junk selling for a high price.

:sing:

Joined 2006
Paid Member
However one must not compare prices between mass manufactured hi volume products against hand made on the kitchen table products because it is unfair that a hand made system with all the built in errors, bad soldering, horrible wiring, components bought from some shady hobby electronics dealer fitted into some lovely case imported from China should not cost a fortune, obviously this guy can only build one unit per month and he has to make his whole salary plus parts for the next one with the sale. Is it better than the volume market, NO. Is it more reliable, NO so what is it just some esoteric junk selling for a high price.

:sing:

Hey Nico - I do understand your point - but I will respectfully present the counter argument that many of us that do some fooling around on the kitchen table know how to solder quiet well (I'm NASA certified for example) and know how to put things together using quality components. Some DIYer's have (and will) started small companies and some of those companies become successful enough to stay in business and pay the bills.

That being said - you won't catch me trying to start up a company - been there - done that - and have the t-shirt!!! Some efforts have been rewarding - and some others best regarded as "lessons learned". I'm here purely for the enjoyment of DIY - learning new things - playing around with some new (or rediscovered) theory(s) - making friends (I hope?) - enjoying my "golden years". This stuff keeps me busy and interested in life! Well - of course there are other pursuits as well - but I dooooooooo love good audio!! :D

Last edited:
Hi C2Thomas, it looks like a high end power bar or plug extender, does it extend plugs better, than those plastic ones?

Electrically , it could be cloned for $10-20 , simple RFI filter ??? If it was bigger , I would guess that they could of included an isolation trafo , but then it would be at $12K + . The site actually has some reasonable esoteric LS drivers ($60-100) , better "bang for the buck".

OS

Joined 2006
Paid Member
AVE...

Are you being funny?
Or should I explain, why this is fake?

Please read what I said a bit more carefully. I did not say this item is a fake not that it will or will not work. I stated that I did not know about the device as I have not had a chance to test it and thus have no way to validate it's performance.

Buuuuuuuut - at $9,000 USD - I have a feeling in my gut that the engineering team that designed this device has some serious explaining to do before they convince me that it is worth that much money.

Please read what I said a bit more carefully. I did not say this item is a fake not that it will or will not work. I stated that I did not know about the device as I have not had a chance to test it and thus have no way to validate it's performance.

Buuuuuuuut - at $9,000 USD - I have a feeling in my gut that the engineering team that designed this device has some serious explaining to do before they convince me that it is worth that much money.

They secretly reverse engineered the Bybee's and, as such, are passing on the cost of research to the consumer. :)

Explained... wanna buy? :)

[edit]Wait, I'm not helping here... doh![/edit]

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.