Is high-end audio just lots of gimmicks and high price tags ??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
And it may. There is some recent medical evidence that the placebo effect works even when the subject knows it's a placebo. The human mind is a strange thing.

Yes, it is. However it seems many if not most so-called "audiophiles" are in absolute, complete denial of this and don't even consider it as a possibility.

At that point, it simply becomes religion.

se

an interesting question might be wether there is an obvious time that the current "high end" was invented
say a decade where at the start a "cost no object" system from a dealer in New York, London, ect. would have cost a fraction of the national median family income and at the end of the decade such a system would only be affordable by the top income quintile

possibly the 1970's - with Mark Levinson Audio starting up in 1972?

In '69 a Crown reel to reel the biggest Sansilly reciever and Bose cost about two years of MIT tuition ($100k now). I had two friends with that in their dorm rooms. It was as much a status thing "show off my daddies money" as it is now.

Last edited:
What exactly do you mean by "change the sound"? You mean in the same sense that frozen photographs "change the sound" or do you mean an actual audible difference?

se

C'mon SE , you are better than that ..... :rolleyes: i hope ... :p

In '69 a Crown reel to reel the biggest Sansilly reciever and Bose cost about two years of MIT tuition ($100k now). I had two friends with that in their dorm rooms.

Sansilly ... LMAO ... :)

AVE...
So you are suggesting everyone use cheap gainclone amps ...
This was just example. It doesn't matter, what parts you use when making your DIY amp - if you only use the correct values and avoid mistakes, the sound will be good. And the difference between the two amps made with the same circuit diagram can't be heard. That's what I mean. This is simple experiment: make two amps, one with expensive parts, and one with cheap ones. Ask someone to switch between the expensive model and cheap model, while you are blindfolded. Make that person make few false switches and ask you, which is which. You won't hear the difference...

So called "audiophiles" here (in Poland) were asked to make the blindfolded test of different equipment: DIY, midrange and high-end speakers, amplifiers and other stuff. They refused because they are afraid that set of speakers made for 1000USD will sound the same or better than their high-end 50000USD speakers...

This is the problem: people won't admit that they were idiots when they bought their expensive equipment. The authors of the reviews won't admit that their opinions are meaningless or are plain lies. And stupid consumers will buy even s**t in a bottle, if it can make their equipment sound better...

Last edited:
AVE...

This was just example. It doesn't matter, what parts you use when making your DIY amp - if you only use the correct values and avoid mistakes, the sound will be good. And the difference between the two amps made with the same circuit diagram can't be heard. That's what I mean. This is simple experiment: make two amps, one with expensive parts, and one with cheap ones. Ask someone to switch between the expensive model and cheap model, while you are blindfolded. Make that person make few false switches and ask you, which is which. You won't hear the difference...

Let me see if i have this .....

Are you saying if i was to take 2 identical amplifiers one with avg parts, the other with "top notch" parts there will be no audible difference.?

Strongly disagree...

So called "audiophiles" here (in Poland) were asked to make the blindfolded test of different equipment: DIY, midrange and high-end speakers, amplifiers and other stuff. They refused because they are afraid that set of speakers made for 1000USD will sound the same or better than their high-end 50000USD speakers...

Maybe they were afraid of participating in a rigged contest , as many have done so in the past . It does seem to be a case of, 2 ignorant or deaf to hear a difference, so if i cant hear it, you can't hear it.

This is the problem: people won't admit that they were idiots when they bought their expensive equipment. The authors of the reviews won't admit that their opinions are meaningless or are plain lies. And stupid consumers will buy even s**t in a bottle, if it can make their equipment sound better...

Just because someone bought an expensive piece of equipment they are stupid:rolleyes: maybe they happen to be ...awww just rich and liked the product.

The big irony here is there are possibly others with ipods and ear buds who think you are stupid for building DIY amps and speakers when ear buds are better sounding and cheaper ...

What an Idiot they must be saying ..................... :)

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Let me see if i have this .....

Are you saying if i was to take 2 identical amplifiers one with avg parts, the other with "top notch" parts there will be no audible difference.?

Strongly disagree...

I reiterate:

Yes, it is. However it seems many if not most so-called "audiophiles" are in absolute, complete denial of this and don't even consider it as a possibility.

At that point, it simply becomes religion.

se

In the beginning (at least in the 70's)

Traded 50 small furbearing animals this nice little amp -
Kenwood_KA-3500_Stereo_Integrated_web.jpg
Kenwood KA-3500.
At 13 ,with perfect hearing and paired up with a techics SL-D2 turntable and realistic 2-way 8" speakers ... my first introduction to "hi-fi". Nico's right , the Kenwood's topology is "nothing new" and is being built by DIY'ers right now. The kenwood is just a bootstrapped Lin topology (below 1) with not a current source to be found (poor PSRR). Still , it sounded sooo good to a teenager :) . Now , on to "they all sound the same" B$ ... I bought the new (at the time) JVC receiver -
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

At 80W ,with the magical "Super A" and a REAL 2sc4281/2sa4302 OPS,the sound improvement was quite noticeable at normal listening levels with the same source and loudspeakers. Was it the larger output stage ? , or maybe the "super A" ? Nope , as I now know , it was the addition of more advanced design features ... real current sources (better PSRR) and the "voodoo" super A. The "super A" is alot like the krill in technique or our new TMC in the results. The JVC was letting me listen to the same source with greatly reduced high order harmonics and better stereo separation.

The JVC was nice for years , until I heard my cousin's carver with it's dual power supplies. :D Now , If they all "sound the same" ,why bother with separate supplies and Darlington capacitance multipliers ? ( John ? extra parts ? ) I don't believe in $500 cables or excessive use of precious metals, but different designs CAN sound better or worse.

OS

Attachments

• ka3500.gif
    ka3500.gif
    57.6 KB · Views: 302
Just because someone bought an expensive piece of equipment they are stupid maybe they happen to be ...awww just rich and liked the product.

Aye. If I had the money, I wouldn't be hanging around here. I'd be too busy watching my pions install my uber-expensive gear which not only looked flash but sounded great too!

So who is more stupid? The guys that bought the expensive gear because they had the money or the guys that weren't smart/lucky enough to make the money in the first place [and, henceforth, can't afford pions]?

The answer is neither. We all do what's right for us. The only 'stupid' people in that mix are the elitists that are so short-sighted that they go around calling everyone else "stupid".

Cheers,
Dave.

How did a nice little thread on "gimmicks and high price tags" turn into yet another "all amps sound the same" "all caps sound the same" - "no they don't!" thread? Sigh. :(

Because these are among the gimmicks, and the claimed audible differences with no evidence beyond testimony are the religion. The nature of the original post is religious, believers in the audiophile religion consider "evidence" to be beneath them and/or unnecessary, so it's not surprising that the discussion devolves.

Discussion of evidence and experimental results is sooooo much more interesting and useful.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.