Is high-end audio just lots of gimmicks and high price tags ??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You've got a bit confused here, so I'll have a go at straightening out some of the history. The Nautilus itself (that's the only one costing 33,000UKP a pair) does not use any Kevlar nor any fixed suspension drive units (FSTs in the parlance). The FST came out with the Nautilus 800 range.

If you change 'Nautilus' to 'Nautilus 800 range (excluding the N805 which is a 2-way)' then this becomes correct, yes.

Absolute Bollox.

B&W 683 and Nautilus had woven Kevlar Mid Range Cones.

Attachments

• B_W.jpg
    B_W.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 371
Last edited by a moderator:
Its amplifier schematic is much along the lines published on this forum and still variations used in many high-end designs, so not much has changed in 40 years, just the price tag. It was as beautiful and easthetically pleasing as the highest of high end pieces available today. So why is sounding better than this or that such an issue, it has existed for many years and we still haven't come to any conclusion, amplifiers have sounded the same for decades. But nobody wants to admit it.

High end audio stuff only sells because of fancy precious looking housing and aggressive marketing. The electronics and acoustics inside are too often of the shabbiest kind.
And you need to find a fool to buy it: Someone with a deep wallet, not the slightest clue about electronics and the strong urge to "improve" his equipment by simple measures like buying overprices tuning equipment like cables and other useless junk. See the car tuners. Almost same story.
But this is not only a boy's game. You can fool the girls as well with tiny cute looking stuff that doesn't interfere with the interior too much.
A good example is Bose. High price, crappy technology, lots of marketing.
I'm not into audio that much and see everything from a neutral technical point of view and what I've seen since I got involved into the audio scene is funny and saddening at the same time. One day I will open a store selling all the voodoo stuff and become very rich...

At the end of the 1970's~early 1980's inflation was such that prices doubled every 4 years for a time. You have to get rid of the idea of what a dollar is worth to you now because it's always relative. At one time ground beef was more expensive than steak. In the early 70's $2.50 an hour was a very good wage, roughly equivalent to $20 or more an hour now.

If we pick 1973 to represent the "early 70's," adjusted for inflation, $2.50 comes out to just $11.94. My niece is making nearly that working at Starbucks.

Minimum wage today is 10 times what it was in 1970.

The minimum wage in 1970 was $1.60 an hour. Today it's $7.25. Only 4.5 times hat it was. If it had kept pace with inflation, it would be $8.74.

So was a $25 radio expensive in the early 1950's? You bet it was ... and that was no High End unit, believe me.

If we take 1953 to represent the "early 1950's," and using the 1953 Radio Shack catalog as a guide, you could get this 3 way portable radio for $24.95:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

And adjusted for inflation, $25 in 1953 would be $198.26 in today's dollars.

Today, this little Tivoli table top radio sells for about $150.00.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Interestingly the Tivoli isn't much larger and weighs nearly the same, although it's not portable.

The 1953 radio was a discrete design using vacuum tubes and was made in the United States by workers making a decent wage. The Tivoli is based on integrated circuits and is made in China by workers making less than my grandfather made in the 1930s.

se

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Launched in 1973 at a cost of around US$395

Expensive! That's about $1900 in today's dollars. :eek:
I remember those, always liked them.

Shortly after those came out, I stumbled into my first "Real Hi-Fi" store. The Pioneer and its Yamaha rivals were all in the front half of the shop. It was the Hi-Fi section. In the back was the "High End" room with Magnaplanar - the 3 panel Tympani speakers - and Audio Research electronics. Also Ampzilla and the single panel Maganapan. Revox R2R and some high end turntables. I was awe struck.

I remember actually walking around behind the Maggies (that I thought were just screens) to see who was playing the violin! No way could that have been a speaker - I was in the youth orchestra at the time, so knew very well what real instruments sounded like.

All that gear was far, far too expensive for me, but I could dream. And they were very kind to a poor kid like me. Let me hang around the shop to listen and ask silly questions for months. If that was high end, I was hooked. Have been ever since. It was a least a decade later that I discovered that I could actually build stuff as good, myself. Hello DIY. :D

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Its amplifier schematic is much along the lines published on this forum and still variations used in many high-end designs, so not much has changed in 40 years, just the price tag. It was as beautiful and easthetically pleasing as the highest of high end pieces available today. So why is sounding better than this or that such an issue, it has existed for many years and we still haven't come to any conclusion, amplifiers have sounded the same for decades. But nobody wants to admit it.

imagesCA958Z7O.jpg

:up:

AVE...

The psychological mechanism behind this "expensive sounds better" syndrome and this search for better amp that will sound the same, no matter what parts one use is very simple. When you buy/make something expensive, you expect that it will sound better, and this will change your perception of sound. This is very simple. Even if you know, that your expensive high-end gear sounds exactly the same as your earlier top-of-the-midrange gear, you will hear the difference with your wallet...

Lets look at the USB cable that connects DAC to the computer. For example Audioquest’s Diamond USB. Expensive, isn't it? Now let's look at the ***** that's written on Stereophile.com:
Steve Silberman, VP of Marketing, explained that all insulators have capacitance. Energy from the conductor enters the insulation and needs to discharge. The DBS’ electrostatic field lowers the discharge, which in turn lowers the amount of phase distortion and makes for a cleaner signal.
The capacitance is a parameter of the two conductors separated by insulator. The phase distortion is not important for digital signals, since USB use differential signaling for 0's and 1's. Besides protocol adds parity bits and checksums to all data. This makes impossible to change the quality of output sound by changing the cable connecting the DAC to computer. So this claim:
In a very short demo, Silberman compared music through a stock USB cable that came with his printer to music through the Diamond. Using the new Arcam R asynchronous USB DAC, Arcam AVR 600 receiver, AQ Niagra interconnects ($1600/1m pair), AQ Redwood speaker cables ($2300/3ft pair), and Vandersteen 2Ce 30th anniversary edition speakers, the difference in transparency and color was striking.
is a giant *****. But audio-morons will buy it anyway...

Well, according to some, the "sound changes" after they put photographs of themselves in their freezers. So saying the "sound changes" isn't really saying much.

The question is whether or not there any actual audible differences.
Did you know that cleaning your ears can result in great change of sound quality. I cleaned mine and the whole mid-range became more vivid and now has more details...

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2007
The question is whether or not there any actual audible differences.

se

Also, is the change causing a difference in the operating points? Do they add distortion that wasn't there before?
People have odd ideas about what sounds good and often (it seems) that they prefer to covertly change the tone of the music via an amplifier with a tailored distortion spectrum. D. Self says it should be a "niceness" knob.
Ironically, up front tone controls on any amp are anathema though.

AVE...

I have a question: how many of you can hear the difference between THD 1%, 0.1% and 0.01%? How many of you believe that GainClone made of high-end parts will sound better than GainClone made of parts salvaged from Unitra ZRK M9108 cassette tape player (made in Poland circa 1986)?
If any of you can hear the difference, then you are hearing it with your wallets...

We call it audiovoodoo...

So you are suggesting everyone use cheap gainclone amps .... :confused:

At least at one time in the past quality hifi really was a cut above the "also rans" both technically and subjectively. Coming from the U.K. I can mainly comment on British equipment but I'm sure it would have been the same around the world.
At the time when the Quad II, 22 and Leak Varislope, Stereo 20 were top dog amplifiers and Quad had the first electrostatic speaker (and Leak the Sandwich Cone speaker), equipment of this ilk really was in another league to the gear that most people had ever heard or seen. It was not however much to look at.
As time has gone by and technology has "improved" it is both cheap and easy to give this level of performance and better. So how do they now justify the high cost?? Fancy styling and bull**** marketing of course! ;) Simples.

I remember the leak speakers very well, fantastic at the time ...:)

In 1974 the British audio magazine Hi-Fi Answers, published their best system for the grand total of 1000 Pound Sterling consisted of Pioneer PL12D turntable fitted with SME 9" arm + Shure V15 MkIII, KEF Concerto loudspeakers and the highly acclaimed Pioneer SA9100 amplifier.

What would you pay for an equivalent system today.

I would not consider that hi end in 1974... :rolleyes:

Does this bring back memories of high-end of its time? Launched in 1973 at a cost of around US$395

That is not high-end , never was and never will be ... :rolleyes:

High end audio stuff only sells because of fancy precious looking housing and aggressive marketing. The electronics and acoustics inside are too often of the shabbiest kind.

There is some truth here, but not all high-end is like that ...

And you need to find a fool to buy it: Someone with a deep wallet, not the slightest clue about electronics and the strong urge to "improve" his equipment by simple measures like buying overprices tuning equipment like cables and other useless junk. See the car tuners. Almost same story.
But this is not only a boy's game. You can fool the girls as well with tiny cute looking stuff that doesn't interfere with the interior too much.

You have the cart before the horse here boss...

This ridiculous trend in audio is actually driven by the consumers and the mags not the manufactures. Consumers thru collective internet/magazine ignorance, demand a certain High-end factor to what they purchase and is played along by the mags. This forces the manufactures to "stepup" or be left behind.

Most recently everyone is hyping diamond tweeters, in a few months you will not be able to sell speakers without diamond tweeters, why? did every other tweeter just go awful all of a sudden...:rolleyes:

Throw in dealer markups, marketing and better than furniture finish and Bingo
car prices.:rolleyes: I will admit that some manufactures have cashed in on this trend and have gone berserk with there pricing structure. I will iterate and say it would not be possible without the consumer supporting this crap, most think it's OK to spend that kind of cash on audio and frown on lower value price performance products, sometimes you are actually forced to price the product higher for credibility.

A good example is Bose. High price, crappy technology, lots of marketing.
I'm not into audio that much and see everything from a neutral technical point of view and what I've seen since I got involved into the audio scene is funny and saddening at the same time. One day I will open a store selling all the voodoo stuff and become very rich...

Wrong timing , you will starve:p the time for that has past , this is audio's swan song era and the high-end will be changed for heeevar...

Also, is the change causing a difference in the operating points? Do they add distortion that wasn't there before?

Even if it did, that doesn't necessarily mean the difference would be audible.

People have odd ideas about what sounds good and often (it seems) that they prefer to covertly change the tone of the music via an amplifier with a tailored distortion spectrum. D. Self says it should be a "niceness" knob.
Ironically, up front tone controls on any amp are anathema though.

True.

se

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.