Tinnitus treatment, a new hope by stimulating a nerve in the neck.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello

NIH-funded researchers were able to eliminate tinnitus in a group of rats by stimulating a nerve in the neck while simultaneously playing a variety of sound tones over an extended period of time, says a study published today in the advance online publication of the journal Nature. Future tests will start on human.

University of Texas at Dallas (2011, January 13). Tinnitus treatment: Rebooting the brain helps stop the ring of tinnitus in rats.

Rebooting the brain helps stop the ring of tinnitus in rats [NIDCD]

Bye

Gaetan

Attachments

• vagus-nerve-stimulation.jpg
    vagus-nerve-stimulation.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 256
Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hmmmmm......... I suspect that some of those rats are busy writing reviews for ..... errr .... I better not mention any names of publications or suspects. :D:D:D

What's the deal with the "pacemaker"? Guess I should go and read the article. Seeing how I was raised in Northern Texas (where we kept guard on the "northern" border from Oklahoma (after all - Texas is it's own county - juz ask any gooood Texun) I suspect that there is a need for this technology due to shooting off Colt 45's at the local ho-down after the rodeo. :D:D:D

Hello

I've eard it in the tv news, so to know more about it, I've done a Google search, VNS (vagus nerve stimulation) was allready used for epileptic and depression treatment.

I have myself a tinnitus, so that news was quite interesting for me, but it can take some times before they use this tinnitus treatment on humans.

Bye

Gaetan

Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
I know that many of us here suffer from some degree of tinnitus (including myself) and are interested in any advancements for remedies. I'm not gonna touch the opening about getting depression treated via VNS - but that could be an interesting bonus too!!!

For some reason I get the sense that there could be a Woody Allen movie coming - except with big ears running around in a clinic that treats depression.

Hello

There was a french article about tinnitus, I've translated it.

Bye

Gaetan

---------

Tinnitus: psychotherapy, cerebral stimulations electric and magnetic
Submitted by Management November 26, 2008 Searches for in psychology Health

Several people reaches of tinnitus have a behavior of withdrawal and a negative vision of life, according to a thesis of doctorate of the University Medical Center Groningen (UMCG). people for whom tinnitus affect the important way life quality often live the anxiety and the depression. Four to five percent of people reaches would feel limited seriously because, by examples they have the difficulty to concentrate and to sleep.

Until now no treatment proved to be efficient for the majority of people enduring tinnitus. A multidisciplinary approach is essential, says Mrs. Hilke Bartels, autor of the thesis.

During a long time, one supposed that the reason of tinnitus resided in the auditory organ himself. It is now clear that it is rather in the brain.

Parts of the brain in the region of the audition give out the continuous signals that are the reason of the " noise ghost ". This superactivity is generally the result of an audition loss. However, the noise, an infection or an operation of the ear, or a problem of jaw or neck can also provoke symptoms.

By means of technologies of cerebral imagery Hilke Bartels confirmed the theory of a superactivity of regions of the brain bound to the audition.

His research also showed that a proportion important of people enduring tinnitus is depressed and have a negative vision of life. They don't dare to share these feelings with others, what makes that they receive little social support.

The anxiety and the depression seem to amplify effects of tinnitus. People reached of these unrests of the mood could benefit from a psychotherapy centered on the reduction of the anxiety and the depression.

Otherwise, the UMCG started in 2001 the experimentation of the electric stimulation of regions of the brain concerned. It is about a treatment neurochirurgical in which is joined to an electric impulse generator of fine electrodes implanted in regions of the audition of the brain (a shape of pacemaker). Four of the six people treated saw some positive improvements long-term. They brought back that the " noise " was reduced to the more supportable levels and assigned a note of 7 on 10 to the treatment.

The transcranian magnetic neurostimulation (a lot less invasive) seems also an interesting treatment option according to the autor of research. tinnitus of 5 people on 24 that underwent this treatment have been suppressed temporarily.

But there's no way to tell if the rat's brain still functions normally after being resetted - nothing short of resetting your own brain will tell you, but if you reset your own brain would you remember what happened before that?

I'm a suscriber of "brain as a computer" concept.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Good point wwenze
But there's no way to tell if the rat's brain still functions normally after being resetted

My thoughts on the subject:
This nerve affects many of life supporting activities within our body.
Vagus nerve - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I would not consider upsetting the complex balance within me for treating my tinitus, unless it would go up to a jazz trumpet level. *PS

Controlled tests rarely -if ever- take into account the looong term effects of treatments and certainly not all of these late side effects.

We can try harmless DIY ;) Vagus Nerve Stimulation instead, starting from controlling our anxiety:

VNS may also be achieved by one of the vagal maneuvers: holding the breath for a few seconds, dipping the face in cold water, coughing, or tensing the stomach muscles as if to bear down to have a bowel movement. Patients with supraventricular tachycardia, atrial fibrillation, and other illnesses may be trained to perform vagal maneuvers (or find one or more on their own).

Vagus nerve VNS is to be considered for much more severe neurological disorders:

(VNS) therapy using a pacemaker-like device implanted in the chest is a treatment used since 1997 to control seizures in epilepsy patients and has recently been approved for treating drug-resistant cases of clinical depression.

Regards
George

*PS (But then I could entertain myself, thinking of being Miles Davis performing :D )
YouTube - Miles Davis - Bitches Brew 1969 Live Performance

Last edited:
The intensity of my ears ringing seems to have it's days, and it really clearly is impacted heavily by whether or not I have consciously noticed it. I always know it's there, but it typically is not noticed. Yet at the same time, if I concentrate on it, no matter the amount of background noise there is, I can make it seem DEAFENINGLY loud. Though again, that is only if I really concentrate. Also the amount of background noise if I'm not doing anything has an impact on if I'll happen to notice it. Right now the only noise around me is the low whirring of my computer fans (which is in an open air case, 18inches to my left, but my fans can run low enough that it is rather quiet), so I can really hear it right now, especially thanks to this thread lol

I also have a rather sever case of depression, which 'oh joy', is hereditary :\ I considered VNS but utlimately decided I'd rather not have a surgery. It was bad enough that I was honestly considering Electro-Convulsive Therapy (aka: shock therapy), but thankfully have managed to get it under control through the use of amphetamine, which once upon a time was given for depression. I originally got on it for not being able to wake up, and if I didn't I could sleep all day, but it has virtually cured my depression in the process as well!

Anyways back on topic... I'll assume those Widex aids are "white noise" generators (sorry, didn't look), as the Doc who I was going to for depression treatment had hearing aids that did that for his tinnitus! I've thought about that, but as is the case with most things in life, money is an issue :p So considering having my tinnitus 'go away' isn't life threatening, it's something that will have to wait till a much later time :)

DIY white noise generators are cheap, or cost nothing if you already have the gear, which I believe most should in this forum.

The perfectionist might have a standalone device to mix the noise into the speakers, but I'll settle for an MP3 and fans - nowadays graphics cards are loud!

For my tinitus,caffeine seems to really amplify it.
If I only have one cup of coffee, in the morning I hardly notice it.
However, if I have more coffee (or tea) during the day, my tinituis gets worse until the next morning.

My problem is, I really love my coffee.
I must get some decaf.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.