Somebody damped that discussion over here - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd July 2003, 10:12 PM   #1
diyAudio Retiree

Default You're all wet.....

think you are confusing dampening with damping. You better go look up the dielectric constant of water while your at it. I gave about two days worth of references on damping materials, and you want to use fluid........ And you wonder why people think you have some goofy ideas and question your observations. I guess it is novel gimmick like the shoes with goldfish swimming in the heels.

Yes, parts sound different. Most of the serious tweakers have know it for 10 or 15 years and many people are even aware of why they sound different in terms of things that can be measured or conceptualized with models. Good parts are secondary to good design and I think power supply design is what was under discussion.

Whoops snuck in under the advisery from PD
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pd-pl-fish-white-lg.jpg (21.5 KB, 225 views)
Old 22nd July 2003, 10:25 PM   #2
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

Quote:
it would be hard pressed to find any investor in my business (private equipty) who would invest in high-end audio tho. Ripplewood owns D&M (Denon and Marantz) and they are one of the better investors in distressed situations - and the fact that they are involved with a pretty healthy name like Denon should shade some light on how the whole high-end audio segment (and consumer electronics in general) is perceived by the financial community.
Thanks, Millwood.
That confirms my fear...guess I'll need to rob one first then.

Sorry for the OT.

Quote:
Good parts are secondary to good design and I think power supply design is what was under discussion.
I agree, yet there is little use for great circuit design if the PSU isn't up to the same standard either.
Anyway you look at it it's all tightly related...
After all a preamp or amp is nothing more than a power supply modulated by the audio signal.

Cheers,
Old 22nd July 2003, 10:34 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Default Re: You're all wet.....

Quote:
Originally posted by Fred Dieckmann
think you are confusing dampening with damping.
You talk about damping, they talk about dampening. I guess thay can be excused, as they are French Taken from the add in a famous audio mag. Whoops, snuck in under my advisery also
Attached Images
File Type: jpg damp1.jpg (35.3 KB, 211 views)
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 22nd July 2003, 10:39 PM   #4
diyAudio Senior Member

Default Damnppphhh...

Hi,

Quote:
You talk about damping, they talk about dampening. I guess thay can be excused, as they are French. Taken from the add in a famous audio mag.
I wonder where they put that goldfish...
Old 22nd July 2003, 10:44 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Default Re: Damnppphhh...

Quote:
Originally posted by fdegrove
Hi,

I wonder where they put that goldfish...
There are two bowls in the picture....
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 22nd July 2003, 10:49 PM   #6
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

Quote:
There are two bowls in the picture....
Geeez...and I just thought those were Big Brothers' eyeballs.

Honestly, as much as I like Cabasse speakers, I wouldn't want a set of those eyes in my living-room...

Cheers,
Old 22nd July 2003, 11:07 PM   #7
diyAudio Retiree

Default Frankly Scarlett I don't give a damp.....

http://www.wsu.edu:8080/~brians/errors/damped.htm

Actually I see the term corrupted as dampened pretty often now. I guess it is no more annoying than teenage girls using you know... and like.... as verbal punctuation every 5 words. I once counted the "like"s in the conversation at the next table while eating but my wife made me stop when I got to 50. So like if you want to write like "dampen" you know.... like whatever...... you know.
Attached Images
File Type: gif gone.gif (44.7 KB, 192 views)
Old 22nd July 2003, 11:18 PM   #8
diyAudio Senior Member

Default RE:Frankly Scarlett I don't give a damp.....

Hi,

Quote:
http://www.wsu.edu:8080/~brians/errors/damped.htm
Unfortunately there's a damnped error in the above link.
I don't like that.

Quote:
So like if you want to write like "dampen" you know.... like whatever...... you know.
I would like to use the correct word...I don't like the damp look in Scarlets' eyes either.

Frankly,I liked the movie, though...
Old 22nd July 2003, 11:50 PM   #9
diyAudio Retiree

Default That's odd...... what the L?

http://www.wsu.edu:8080/~brians/errors/damped.html

When the vibration of a wheel is reduced it is damped, but when you drive through a puddle your tire is dampened. "Dampened" always has to do with wetting, if only metaphorically: "The announcement that Bob's parents were staying home after all dampened the spirits of the party-goers." The parents are being a wet blanket.
Old 23rd July 2003, 12:45 AM   #10
Account Disabled

Default Re: That's odd...... what the L?

Quote:
Originally posted by Fred Dieckmann
http://www.wsu.edu:8080/~brians/errors/damped.html

When the vibration of a wheel is reduced it is damped, but when you drive through a puddle your tire is dampened.

is that right? I always thought that to damp is to moisture, and to dampen means to reduce vibration. so in this case, to dampen one's spirits actually means to reduce one's spirits, literally.

Hide this!Advertise here!