Somebody damped that discussion over here

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Retiree
Joined 2002
You're all wet.....

think you are confusing dampening with damping. You better go look up the dielectric constant of water while your at it. I gave about two days worth of references on damping materials, and you want to use fluid........ And you wonder why people think you have some goofy ideas and question your observations. I guess it is novel gimmick like the shoes with goldfish swimming in the heels.

Yes, parts sound different. Most of the serious tweakers have know it for 10 or 15 years and many people are even aware of why they sound different in terms of things that can be measured or conceptualized with models. Good parts are secondary to good design and I think power supply design is what was under discussion.

Whoops snuck in under the advisery from PD

Attachments

• pd-pl-fish-white-lg.jpg
    pd-pl-fish-white-lg.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 244
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

it would be hard pressed to find any investor in my business (private equipty) who would invest in high-end audio tho. Ripplewood owns D&M (Denon and Marantz) and they are one of the better investors in distressed situations - and the fact that they are involved with a pretty healthy name like Denon should shade some light on how the whole high-end audio segment (and consumer electronics in general) is perceived by the financial community.

Thanks, Millwood.
That confirms my fear...guess I'll need to rob one first then. :clown:

Sorry for the OT.

Good parts are secondary to good design and I think power supply design is what was under discussion.

I agree, yet there is little use for great circuit design if the PSU isn't up to the same standard either.
Anyway you look at it it's all tightly related...
After all a preamp or amp is nothing more than a power supply modulated by the audio signal.

Cheers,;)

diyAudio Retiree
Joined 2002
Frankly Scarlett I don't give a damp.....

http://www.wsu.edu:8080/~brians/errors/damped.htm

Actually I see the term corrupted as dampened pretty often now. I guess it is no more annoying than teenage girls using you know... and like.... as verbal punctuation every 5 words. I once counted the "like"s in the conversation at the next table while eating but my wife made me stop when I got to 50. So like if you want to write like "dampen" you know.... like whatever...... you know.

Attachments

• gone.gif
    gone.gif
    44.7 KB · Views: 210
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
RE:Frankly Scarlett I don't give a damp.....

Hi,

http://www.wsu.edu:8080/~brians/errors/damped.htm

Unfortunately there's a damnped error in the above link.
I don't like that.

So like if you want to write like "dampen" you know.... like whatever...... you know.

I would like to use the correct word...I don't like the damp look in Scarlets' eyes either.

Frankly,I liked the movie, though...;)

diyAudio Retiree
Joined 2002
That's odd...... what the L?

http://www.wsu.edu:8080/~brians/errors/damped.html

When the vibration of a wheel is reduced it is damped, but when you drive through a puddle your tire is dampened. "Dampened" always has to do with wetting, if only metaphorically: "The announcement that Bob's parents were staying home after all dampened the spirits of the party-goers." The parents are being a wet blanket.

Disabled Account
Joined 2003
Re: That's odd...... what the L?

Fred Dieckmann said:
http://www.wsu.edu:8080/~brians/errors/damped.html

When the vibration of a wheel is reduced it is damped, but when you drive through a puddle your tire is dampened.

is that right? I always thought that to damp is to moisture, and to dampen means to reduce vibration. so in this case, to dampen one's spirits actually means to reduce one's spirits, literally.

Damn dampers damped better when dampend, damnit.

Damn dampers damped better when dampend, damnit. Post #12

It was once common practice in recording studios located in arid climates to spray a mist of water about the studio space in order to create a higher and more constant humidity.

Raising the humidity would increase the density of the air...

Effectively the sound would be dampened and yet simultaneously brighter.

Such a paradox.

Ironically, my brother-in-law built a lab at WSU while working as a professor of civil engineering to study the effects of viscous dampers for reducing damage to architectural structures caused by seismically induced motion (or something like that). His dampers had been dampened with a viscous fluid so that the earthquake motion could be damped.

Attachments

• dampers.jpg
    dampers.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 148
Damper dampening..hmmm...if I damper something I make a restrictive load...and If I dampen something I create some sort of viscous coupling to separate from the load.

ex..dampers...to restrict air flow

ex..dampening...sinovial fluid in the bursa sack that creates a cushion for knee cartilage......moter mounts.....viscous couplings between drive units..LOL

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.