Congratulations GRollins 1000 posts - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th January 2002, 09:58 PM   #1
Warp Engineer
On Holiday

Default Congratulations GRollins 1000 posts

I would like to congratulate Grey Rollins for posting his 1000th post on this forum
Old 8th January 2002, 10:14 PM   #2
Won is offline Won
diyAudio Member

clamor, clamor...

I mean, er, congrats!

-Won

I just got my 50th post recently, woohoo!

EDIT: Does this mean that Grey has 1/13th of the posts here? Wow.
Old 8th January 2002, 10:25 PM   #3
Warp Engineer
On Holiday

Yeah Won thats right ... Grey does indeed own 1/13th of the posts here.
Old 8th January 2002, 10:43 PM   #4
paulb is offline paulb  Canada
diyAudio Member

..and if you multiply his no. of posts by the words per post, he's set a mark that will never be equalled. Insightful and entertaining, they're a pleasure to read.
Congratulations, Grey. I hope your SF is just as good, I'm gonna read some soon.
Old 8th January 2002, 11:48 PM   #5
Helix is offline Helix  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Thanks for contributing so much to the forum, a great achivement!

(don't want to seem ignorant but what is his SF?)
Old 9th January 2002, 12:18 AM   #6
Warp Engineer
On Holiday

Helix ... SF = Science Fiction ...... Grey is an author of SF books
Old 9th January 2002, 01:23 AM   #7
PassFan is offline PassFan  United States
diyAudio Member

Way to go Grey. I always know when a post is going to be good when I see your name on it. Thanks for leading the way.
Old 9th January 2002, 01:53 AM   #8
Super is offline Super  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Super
I'd have to agree with you on that one, PassFan. Grey is truly the "grandfather" of these forums now (no offense, we all know he's such a youthful guy )

Perhaps a celebratory subwoofer project is in order: a line array, slot loaded, 12 driver optical servo system
Old 9th January 2002, 01:55 AM   #9
Warp Engineer
On Holiday

sounds like a good idea to me.
Old 9th January 2002, 02:03 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

All right, here's my view of where we are and where I'd like to go:
Any idiot can sit on a mountaintop and try to answer questions for those who drop by. The problem is that you end up answering the same questions over and over. Sure, you can do it, but it gets boring, and frankly the whole hermit-guru lifestyle never appealed to me. If nothing else, caves in mountain tops rarely have electricity, which makes running a decent stereo a bit difficult.
I'd like to try to put into place a framework where people can learn things pertaining to audio. Think of it as a very large-scale FAQ; the University of Audio, if you will. With luck we can have a few visiting professors now and then. Nelson Pass drops by sometimes. Perhaps a few others could be persuaded to do so. It certainly would be nice to have one of the better speaker manufacturers visit, wouldn't it? But part of that will depend on you. If Stephen Hawking came to town, you wouldn't bog the poor man down with questions about simple arithmetic, would you? I hope not. It would be more appropriate to use your time with him asking about black holes and dark matter. If, by chance, someone who makes a living at this does show up, please be polite so they'll come back. Don't ask silly, trivial questions. Think before you speak.
It's not as though we're swimming in good, reliable information and can afford the luxury of offending (...or boring...) folks who might have something to offer.
The books out there are few and generally pathetic. There are resources scattered here and there on the web, but they're of uneven quality. I can count on my fingers the sites that I could recommend without saying "...but..." followed by a disclaimer or two.
This is ridiculous.
I'm not sure what format would work best for this, but I'd like to get some things written down that would take care of the fundamentals, so that the time in the 'research labs' scattered here and there across the planet could be more productive. We wouldn't have to stop to answer the phone every five minutes--we could keep right on trying to figure out some of the more subtle points of audio. We've got some people here who actually give a damn about audio and have the ability to do interesting things. Let's let 'em work.
Ideally, the whole thing would run itself. Someone could surf in, take the the amplifier class, and sail off into the sunset with some knowledge about the whichness of the whyfors of how an amplifier is designed. Or a speaker. Or a preamp.
Or how to listen...something overlooked by every single book and web site I've seen. Learning to hear is without question the single most fundamental skill required in listening to music. Yet no one addresses the issue. A rather glaring oversight, wouldn't you say? Sadly, I think it says something about the priorities of those who wrote the books and the websites. Given time, perhaps we can get to that, too.

The 1000 post thing?
That just happened because I talk too much...

Grey

Hide this!Advertise here!