Congratulations GRollins 1000 posts

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Jason,
A <i>million?</i>
Ow! Suddenly my poor, widdle, itty-bitty fingers are sore.
I'd like to add something to Geoff's suggested rules: Please don't e-mail me at home with things better handled online. Science fiction comments/questions are OK, how's the weather is OK, even shameless flattery (within reason) is OK, but please don't go asking me to design your circuit for you, or to look up MOSFET substitutions, or ask where to find big heatsinks, or...
If these things are handled here at the diy site, others can benefit from them, but if I have to do this stuff on a one-by-one basis, it gets to taking up a prodigious amount of time. And time is something I ain't got.
There are legitimate reasons to contact folks at their home e-mail address--Geoff and I have made good use of the feature, for instance--but it's getting over-used, at least in my case. I'd hate to have to take my e-mail address out of the little doohicky and go undercover.

Grey

Wikki

I am glad that the concept of a Wikki has been received fairly well. I really think that it could be useful. While I cannot contribute as much as others, there will be a role for those of us who just work to keep it organized. It can be a great knowledge base - and will allow us to tell folks to RTFM with glee, since we know that the info is there and that it only takes a little hunting for the answer.

And that is really the issue: I can't spell, so a dictionary is pretty useless to me. A resource book is only as good as its index - The real value is not the information, but the ability to find it, despite how ignorant we are.

Originally posted by GRollins

Yes, that's me...

Grey

Hello Grey,

impressive! I love good SF, is some of it available in German translation or would I have to order in the US?

Dtopic,

Congrats to your contributions here! I am not adressing at the mere count or length of posts. I mean the ethics and attitude you expose in your posts.

I thought such had be extinct on the web. I must admit, I ran away from other forums. Could not stand the mindless tedium. offensiveness and ego display anymore. Platzhirsch behaviour ("I am the biggest deer!!!") as we would call this in Germany.

Stay the way you are (improvements officially permitted :) ) !

Dtopic,

you made a lot of good suggestions concerning University of Audio in the thread. And you are an experienced author. Suggestion: you write your University of Audio FAQ book, you have the power to include or omit what you with your wisdom think should be in the book or not. Why write nothing but SF, write a book about audio!

And yes, a section about how to learn to listen should definitely be in it.

And then, make the book beautiful and a joy to hands. And then sell it for big bucks!

Your knowledge presented with your attitude defintely is worth to pay for. I would buy your book!

A buddy of mine made such a book about famous stereo vinyl records and he sold more than a thousand copies at a price of US$ 250 which was Deutschmarks 500.- . it was very informative an in fact, it was a record order catalog, the most expensive record catolog in history.

Another buddy wrote two books about preamps and cables, sold them for US$30 each. They were only Xerox copied but very entertaining and also informative. TMK, he sold several 1000 copies.

Both guys were their own publishers.

Maybe this gets you thinking, I am waiting on your book!

Greets from someone planning something similar.

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
FWIW at <a href="http://www.sitepoint.com">SitePoint</a> (my da<i>y</i> job which keeps me away from diyAudio.com!) we have recently converted <a href="http://www.webmasterbase.com/article/228">our most popular article</a> into a <a href="http://sitepoint.com/books/?bookid=PHPMSQL">book</a>, and it is selling very well. The book is printed and shipped on demand by <a href="http://www.booksurge.com">Digitz / BookSurge</a> so we can just stand back and let the magic of the web do it's thing. It's similar to a <a href="http://www.cafepress.com">cafepress</a> model, and from memory costs somewhere around $10 per book to get it printed (shipping is extra) so it provides a reduced risk entry to the publishing market.

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Me? Oh, just throwing a lead to any prospective publishers out there that:

<li>don't know where to start in terms of getting their stuff printed
<li>worry that if they go and write a book and it doesn't sell that they will be stuck with excess inventory
<li>don't want to deal publishing companies / retailers telling them that they need to ship them X copies and then if they don't sell them they will send them back
<li>might think that there is a very high price barrier to enter the publishing game

I don't know of any other services that do it, if you do please let me know. It would be good to find a print-on-demand publishing company that is as slick as cafepress.

Sorry, perhaps off topic... but what is on topic? :)

Originally posted by GRollins

Bernhard,

No, I don't think any of my stuff has been translated into any foreign language. (If you find otherwise, let me know.)

Jason,

Um...so what are you saying, fella?

Grey

Hello Grey,

did I say something wrong? Sorry, this was not my intention.

BTW, Jason's hints were leading exactly in the direction my suggestion was aiming at, too.

Should I find copies of your novels in my language, wouldn't that be a copyright violation? I would tell you of course.

Hello Jason,

thanxalot for the posted links, I already investigated them, also visited distant conres :) ... exactly what I need!

Greets,

Oops...sorry...didn't mean to start clamors, er, rumors. Just me 'n Igor kinda hanging out, ya know. Just us guys. Me 'n the hunchback. Nuthin' happenin' here. Pizza and beer, nuthin' special.
(<i>Pssst</i>, Igor...kick that finger up under the work bench. Not <i>that</i> finger, you fool! The other one...the one that's twitching!)

Grey

I've been away for a while, just got back and found this thread, thought I'd like to put in my 2cents worth.
Congradulations, Grey on the passing of the milestone. Many thanks for all the time that you have put into this forum.
It has been because of the input from yourself, (and others) that this forum has, I believe, set a new standard on the internet. This has become a mountain of information on a subject that has in the past been driven by manufacturers and not users.
If only more groups could foster differences of opinion in a civil and informative manner similar to this site.
I take my hat off to you,
regards WALKER

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The story of Variac the destroyer

Just had to pat Grey on the back too.

Here is my story:
Back as an undergraduate in the early 70's we weren't materialistic at all....... except for you had to have a cool stereo!!
A Norton was also a nice touch if you could afford one! But we weren't materialistic!

BUT the coolist thing I saw was a stereo that this guy had MADE.
I had to do that someday....

30 years pass and I'm cruising the web and discover the Son of Zen. The most elegant and simple design I had ever seen-I could make that!! Put up by Nelson Pass well known amp-god.

So I write him -and he writes back!!! and I get the info I need and have a blast searching the corners of the web for surplus stuff for my amp.

Still have a lot of questions and hate to keep bugging Nelson.
Then I discover diy Audio and now I have Grey and Nelson and FEThead and super BBQ ;) (Sorry Super BQ, but once that guy mentioned BBQ I constantly imagine a combo grill/son o Zen
a steak on top with perfect sear lines from the heatsinks)
and a bunch of others that have gotten me to the point of just putting the thing together.

I am now addicted to DIY. I have posted about 6 responses when I actually could help somebody. I'm into this for life...
next the pre-amp. (also one more question confirming how to wire the transformer coming shortly.)

My suggestion for the first textbook for the university:
Amp power supplies. Most of the Pass designs are simple enough that the power supply is the major issue. I am starting to see my questions being asked again by others.

There is lots of info about speakers on the web, but a lot less about amps.
If all the questions about powersupplies were culled out and combined with duplications removed, a bit of narrative to tie it together then 90% of the PS questions can just be referred to the PS book/FAQ . Include the formulas for inductance, voltage drops due to the type of filter, DCR of inductors etc.

Second FAQ: A list confirming that your particular IRC transistor is OK or what its limitations are. Everyone writes in to confirm before ordering those 100 transistors! And they seem to be asking always about one of 5 models (OK, I asked too)

Thanks all for making my dream come true (almost)

Mark

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.