A last! My listening room. A good day.

Yes, North American house construction does seem "flimsy" compared to a lot of what I saw in Europe. I did a few renovation projects in France and everything was much more solid and heavy.

That just depends on what part of the country you live !! We all have different codes for different reasons but most are for weather related issues.

West coast has codes for - earthquakes
Florida has codes for - hurricanes
Northern area has insulating codes- Snow,sub zero temps,etc...

You get the idea.You would change your mind if you lived in northern Minnesota.Homes are Not so Flimsy there. ;)

And where it gets real cold, not unusual to see exterior walls framed with 2"x6" instead of the standard 2"x4" to be able to increase the R value of external walls with thicker insulation.Also a lot of Brick,stone exterior construction.North of the border in Canada they probably have some real beefy construction to keep the -40 -50 degree temps at bay in the winter.Also it really helps a lot to lower the heating/cooling costs in energy savings.

But for someone who doesn't do that kind of work for a living you did a fine job on it. As you have noted it is a lot of work,but quite rewarding/satisfying isn't it. :nod:

~ Have a Happy New Year ~

OK, some before and after pix, just to prove it really does exist.

The room as it was in October, and how it is now. Still very bare, but it will get cluttered up soon enough. Carpet did help deaden it some. Still trim to do on the doors and windows, wall plates for some of the electric, etc.

Nice... does not the Chesterfield too close of the back wall (have you not too much loud ?).:confused:

I'm jealous, we really need to be again cavemen... some nice listening cave here in France at Lascaux with nice paintings on the walls ("last cow") :D

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The room has changed a lot since that photo. There is a lot more junk in it now. :xeye:
But it sounds better. Need to update the photos.

Being near the back wall is usually not a great idea, but here it is the best position for the room. There is a good bit of absorption and diffraction behind me head, and that helps.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I was just reading this thread. Intersting by the way. I remember meeting someone in SW florida who was talking about having had speakers in a cave in Hawaii. I bought some some horns for a potential econowave project. It would be funny if that was you.

Anyways, cool project! Thanks for sharing!

@e3k The only thing I got a notice for was this thread. No email. This showed up under the bell.
well i have got all your notifications now. but only from newly subscribed threads. so the email is sending.
i am really suspecting that people who have subscribed previously to the update are now not notified by email.
read https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/what-did-you-last-repair.313739/page-120
that thread has a lot of posts daily and i did not receive a single one from them even when they are posting.