Reading Relay Pin Diagram (TQ2-12V) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st December 2010, 12:45 PM   #1
dfidler is offline dfidler  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Reading Relay Pin Diagram (TQ2-12V)

Hi All,

I'm looking at a PCB that has three relays marked TQ2-12V ATQ203 and I'm hoping that you guys can sanity check my questions/assumptions based on the datasheet and the readings I'm getting.

This image is from the Panasonic EW TQ2-12V datasheet (http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/22540.pdf):

Click the image to open in full size.

Questions:

1. I'm not sure if each diagram represents a different part or different states of the same part based on how you hook it up?

From what i can tell from other datasheets, they do refer to different parts.

2. What is the significance of the color of the coil in the diagrams?

I have two theories on this.

The first is that the color of the signal pins (highlighted in yellow in the picture) represents the latch position for the latching relays. White means means that pins 2/3, 9/8 are closed and 4/3, 7/8 are open while black means that state is reversed.

The other theory is that they represent the polarity of the signal that should go through the pins and that there is a diode or resistor in place to prevent reverse voltage spikes.

3. Which pins are the power in and NC?

If I'm reading this right, pins 3/8 are ouptut, 2/9 are the NC input and 4/7 are the NO input. I'm not sure what the significance of the black dots for pins 2/9 are for though.

4. Which one do I have?

In my circuit, pins 5/6 are going to ground, which doesn't tell me much. Measuring the R between pins 1/10 gives me about 1K so I'm guessing that, if the diagrams represent different parts, I have a single side stable or 1-coil latching (this is further supported by the fact that pins 1/5 and 6/10 show no resistance/connectivity at all).

Other than powering up the board and/or desoldering the relay (which I don't want to do for fear of disturbing the IC that's adjacent to it) and powering the relay directly, is there a way of determining whether this is a stable or latching relay?

Or will I just have to guess based on the circuit that it's servicing?

Note: I haven't yet mapped out all of the pins between the various releays as this is a multi-layer PCB and it's taking some time to figure out what is connected to what. Therefore, I don't totally understand the purpose of this circuit yet, though it seems pretty likely that it's part of the amp's input circuit protection (which would make me want to say it's a latching relay).

Cheers,
Dave.

Last edited by dfidler; 21st December 2010 at 12:48 PM.
Old 21st December 2010, 11:04 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

OK it appears from what I can see of the datasheet the technical name would be

TQ2-Nil-Nil-12V
Nil of course means nothing (so they shorten the name to TQ2-12V)
So it would be appear that you have:
Single side stable AND Std. B.M.M Type (no clue whatthis means).
Old 22nd December 2010, 12:00 AM   #3
dfidler is offline dfidler  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

PedraDaGr8, thanks.. and boy do I feel dumb. I should have figured that out for myself; doh. I was focusing on using my DMM rather than my brain.

re: MBB - M.B.B. type contact arrangement for an electromagnetic relay - Patent 4520333
Old 22nd December 2010, 03:21 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Ahhh MBB = Make Before Break. Had not encountered that concept before (I am used to automotive relays which I guess are Break before make).

Hide this!Advertise here!