Which is the best gemotry for diy silver interconnect?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
No, three 0.25mm diameter polyurethane insulated silver solid core wires, braided together - like a Norwegian woman's hair. No shielding is needed.

You can get the book from the on-line shop on my website: Vacuum State - High End Hifi Equipment

regards, Allen

OK I understand. Actually braiding gives some shielding.

And litz conductors I use actually are also solid core, it's just that there are many of them isloated from each other. But for me there is no going back to single solid core thicker conductors. In combination with very thin copper foil they are good but not alone. And I can see many hi-end cable manufacturers chosed this same path what I found out just recently studying their websites trying to filter any valuable information from their bla bla bla marketing talking :)

Thanks all

Andrew, still wondering about your air dielectric method?
You get more than half way there with "wagon wheel" dielectric. I'm sure I've seen this somewhere before, maybe in TV antenna co-ax?

Another option would be foam dielectric.

Attachments

• coax.GIF
    coax.GIF
    3.7 KB · Views: 388
The air dielectric showed above on the picture is commonly used in TV broadcast cables.

But in this case the conductor still has regular dieletric on it's own all the way around. There are way better ways where dielectric touching the conductor minimizes to only 5%-10% of the area. One way would be to use tube way thincker than conductor, find the foam that fits inside this tube and cut the slices putting them every few centimeters on the conductor to keep it all the way centered inside the tube.

Another way used is spiral nylon cable wound around the conductor inside the tube. And even loosely placed conductor in much thicker tube minimizes area of the conductor touching the dielectric.

Allen, I assume 3 wires is for balances, but if you run SE, would you twist two or braid 4?

I'm not Allen but if braid of three gives great result I would either just not use one of them or used two of them for (ground) connection. Twisting just two is quite a diffrent geometry and using four conductors (two for each way) may give diffrent not necessary better results than one for each way. That considering braid of three gives excellent results.

Braided cables are very interesting from a DIY perspective.
Braiding is easy for DIY construction, and difficult in a commercial sense!
The easiest braids use 3 cables, and of course this can be problematical when concidering what to do with the third wire. (Unless you are using balanced interconnects.)
Personally I use the third wire as a drain, only connecting it to ground at one end of the cable.
Recently I have tried 4 cable braids for speaker cables, these are handy for bi-wiring speakers. It is possible to braid any number of strands if you have the patience. There are many examples of braids available on the web on craft websites!
There is definitely something about the the geometry of braids that is intriguing. Braids are said to give good RF rejection. I like the way that if you make a 3 wire braid, and pull one strand out that the other 2 strands just fall apart. They are not twisted around each other.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.