1978 Radio Shack catalog

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
What a strange co-inky-dink. I was looking at that website last night. Funny stuff.

BTW, that $870 for the 1978 "Dream System" would be about $2800 today. That would buy you a rather nice 55" LED 3D TV (if you like that sort of thing)

It's interesting looking at the prices for that stuff - a lot of which wouldn't be regarded as very 'high-end' nowadays...or those days either.
Just to put things in perspective-a quick search got the info that the average monthly rent in 1978 was $260, average US annual salary was $10k.
So those crappy 8-tracks and transistor radio/cassette combos were half a month's rent, or half a week's income (before taxes).
Some things I don't miss!!
John

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Crikey! That makes me feel old. I was shopping for over priced resistors in London Tandy stores the year you were born.

About the time you were buying the overpriced resistors, I got my very first CD player at a Tandy shop in Paris. Feast your eyes on this beauty!

Attachments

• RS portable CD.jpg
    RS portable CD.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 81
From my year of birth - 1980 Radio Shack Catalog

... and the "Archer" components - 5 resistors in a little cardboard sleeve for about 5 times the cost :) Of course, as a kid, i bought it because there was nowhere else at the time.

Exactly! I remember walking into King George Electronics in St-Hubert (or Beloeil?) and was floored! It was like, Radio Shack times three plus tons of stuff they didn't even have!
That place no longer sells this kind of stuff. Oh the memories...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.