Why does the new stuff not last???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
10 month old Chevy water pumps would not be planned obsolescence. I rather doubt general Motors designed those parts to wear out long before the warranty on them expired. Sorry about your family experience, but how many hundred thousand GM vehicles did NOT lose a water pump in that same period?

I was at a high end audio dealer here in NJ -- they had a tres cher tube preamp on display -- the electrolytics were bulging already! Can you imagine the reaction when some periodontist has his preamp blow up on him.

A friend in the SMPS biz says qualifying electrolytics is a disaster these days, made worse by the recession (as production is consolidated, consistency evaporates).

But to be fair, my Phillips electric toothbrush has worked without fail.

Hello

My RCA XL100 televison work since 1985 and it still working good, but as soon I've buy it I did made to the case a better aeration to reduce heat inside.

I have a JVC top loading vhs video recorder made in the 70's and it still work good, the only parts I've need to changed was the belts.

Most of the time I buy electronics gears I check the heat management and aeration and the power supply.

Most of the time I've ad to fix some electronics was because of too much heat inside, so many parts did overheat a bit and they fail after few years.

The worse was few cheap DVD players that I've fix, they ad some IC's and transistors who was heating like furnaces.

But there is also those electronics with cheap switching power supply, they have a so high HF noise that the capacitors are going dry or did burst because they was not real low ESR capacitors.

I try to keep my old electronics or buy used good quality ones, they are better made and easyer to fix.

Bye

Gaetan

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.