Quite frankly I don't understand why different pads should sound different - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th July 2003, 02:04 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Quote:
Originally posted by pooge

How many times have you heard what you thought was an improvement because it was more "exciting" or "lively", only to tire of it after extended listening, choosing to go back to the more "boring" or neutral sound? Ears are fickle.
Quite a few, and indeed my temptation was to go back to more boring and neutral sound, but I never did it. I always managed to find a better alternative. This is also a never ending search and a constant quest for that ultimate "holy bandaids".
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 14th July 2003, 01:05 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I hope this question I am asking is not too off topic of the thread.
What is the best way to isolate the mounting screws from the transistors or TO-220 diodes and heatsink. For example the way Peter Daniel's discrete rectifier uses one screw to mount two TO-220 diodes sandwiches or sharing a heatsink. Plastic screws?

Any tips?

Regards,
Chris
Old 14th July 2003, 02:38 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Plastc screw is OK when not much pressure is required (diodes), but on ICs and transistors, I'm using metal screw (non magnetic) and a plastic washer (I buy from Supremetronic).
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 14th July 2003, 02:47 PM   #14
pooge is offline pooge  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
After all, vibrations and electrical current come from the same energy. Instead of damping and trying to kill the vibrations, which instantly causes delays and modulations in the flow of current, we release them smoothly and quickly by the design of a compact and rigid chassis construction and control the resonance with the choice of materials. So, there is no damping materials or suspensions in our products at all.
This makes absolutely no sense. Vibrations and current do not come from the same energy. How in the hell does killing vibrations cause delays and modulations in the flow of current? The opposite would be more likely. Where are the vibrations "released" to? How are the resonances "controlled"? Sounds like new age marketing crap to me.
Old 14th July 2003, 02:59 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pooge

This makes absolutely no sense. Vibrations and current do not come from the same energy. How in the hell does killing vibrations cause delays and modulations in the flow of current? The opposite would be more likely. Where are the vibrations "released" to? How are the resonances "controlled"? Sounds like new age marketing crap to me.

That's not my statement, but I just happen to like it.

Whould you like to comment, what kind of different energies they do come from (vibrations and current)?
Old 14th July 2003, 03:22 PM   #16
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Daniel
That's not my statement, but I just happen to like it.

Whould you like to comment, what kind of different energies they do come from (vibrations and current)?

but you did say that less damping results in airy sound. Maybe you would like to comment on exactly how that is done?
Old 14th July 2003, 03:35 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by millwood

but you did say that less damping results in airy sound. Maybe you would like to comment on exactly how that is done?
It is still a guess, but this is what I think.

Aluminum oxide pad is made of ceramic like material, which is very hard and brittle. Silpad is more soft in comparison.

When insulating pad is used, any vibrations that occur in aluminum chassis are transfered through the pad to the chip. Since both pads have different physical properties, they also change the amount and type of resonances passing to the chip. I would imagine that hard and brittle material can introduce more airy sound, while something that is softer, more laid back and toned down character. What do you think?
Old 14th July 2003, 04:40 PM   #18
Account Disabled

Quote:

I would imagine... What do you think?
I think that the mechanical vibration energy is too weak to change the position of electrons and protons at rest (or moving at certain speed) inside a conductor (and semi-conductor). This means that only the electrical energy could be believed as the inertia force for the electrons and protons.

JH
Old 14th July 2003, 06:06 PM   #19
Account Disabled

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Peter Daniel
[B]Since both pads have different physical properties, they also change the amount and type of resonances passing to the chip.

Quote:
I would imagine that hard and brittle material can introduce more airy sound, while something that is softer, more laid back and toned down character. What do you think?
I am not sure. Foundamentally, that's the question that pooge asked and I have no answer for it. I have not personally read any impact that mechanical vibrations may have on electric characteristics of a semiconductor device. I do know that stress can generate noise but that is too low to be noticed here. Plus, the whole die is mounted on the base plate so even if there is vibration of the whole plate, there is be limited stress on the die itself.
Old 14th July 2003, 06:15 PM   #20
Account Disabled

Peter, I respect you as much as anybody else on this forum. and I think it is an understatement to say that I have learnt a lot from you all. and I am sure that will remain ture for the rest of my life.

But that doesn't mean that I wouldn't ask tough questions, and that doesn't mean that I can be pushed aside, qualification or otherewise.

We are here because we love DIY audio, and we are eager to pick up new things from each other. If there is a qualification, that's it. Not your background in electronics (or not), or my background in banking, whatever.

Hide this!Advertise here!