Quite frankly I don't understand why different pads should sound different - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th July 2003, 06:27 PM   #101
diyAudio Member

Mr Carr

Very enlightening indeed. Of course i made the insensitive remark half joking, but would never have thought that an experienced listener can be easily misled by visual and other non-related cues. Having heard many high-end commercial products, some highly praised in the press, i have usually felt disappointed rather than exalted after a first hand experience. Still, my observations on other's reactions is very limited indeed. Again, an excellent post and another one to enter my collection of JCarr's posts (my favourite is the story about the Riken resistors and cheap opamps in the Sony DAC).

peter
Old 15th July 2003, 07:10 PM   #102
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Quote:
Originally posted by analog_sa
my favourite is the story about the Riken resistors and cheap opamps in the Sony DAC

I like this one too
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 15th July 2003, 07:18 PM   #103
diyAudio Member

Default Soft vs hard

I didn't read the 150 or so post on this thread and I don't drop in to actually discuss the subject but I have a view point that could explain the difference in sound of different pads.

The idea is that different pads will stress the chip waffer differently, this is, a soft pad will stress more the waffer than a hard one. Also the heatsink surface flatness where you mount the chip will also play it's roll on this. All this is more evident when you use a simple screw to press the chip against the pad/heatsink.

On the same idea the tork you applay to the screw on a specific combination of pad/heatsink flatness combination will also play its roll.

So, if we come to a conclusion (not saying that this is) that a stressed chip waffer causes a degradation to sound we would have to work with very flat heatsink surface plus a hard pad and clamp the chip with a bar on top of the chip using one srew to each side of the bar.

My
Old 15th July 2003, 07:29 PM   #104
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally posted by SY
Millwood, I understand your points and agree with many of them, but you might want to think about how you're making them.
point well taken, SY.

Quote:
Originally posted by analog_sa
Mr Carr

peter

Peter, take a look at the tube vs. solid state test posted by Dr. Leach. Very informative.
Old 15th July 2003, 08:23 PM   #105
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I've pulled a couple of irrelevant posts at the end (including my own). Let's all try to keep things on topic and away from personalities. Thanks, guys.

Old 15th July 2003, 08:51 PM   #106
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Peter, take a look at the tube vs. solid state test posted by Dr. Leach. Very informative
I know. I read it when i was a kid.
Old 15th July 2003, 09:27 PM   #107
diyAudio Member

Reply to Jonathan Carr (not wanting to repeat his post):

Jonathan, very enlightening. I have a story that may interest you although it concerns vision rather than hearing.

This is a man who, because of some local brain damage is blind, that is he is unaware of visual images. Yet, his eyes, nerves system and brain vision center is OK.

He is shown cards with a line on it and is asked to "guess" the orientation of the line (remember, he is " blind", lives in the dark).
Yet he scores almost 100%. When confronted with this, he gets angry, thinks he is ridiculed, he's blind for pete's sake!
So, he "saw" nothing, but was able to tell what was in front of his eyes.

Moral: you can be completely unaware of any clues or sensory impressions, but your body still recognizes them and acts on them.

Jan Didden
Old 15th July 2003, 09:55 PM   #108
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi Jan,

Now I may have an interesting analogy for you too:

When walking down a quiet street with buildings on both sides you suddenly here pianomusic coming from an open window on the first floor.

Can you tell within a split second whether this is a real instrument being played or a recording being played back?

To some people water is just that: water.

Other people may have other sensitivities which makes me come to the conclusion that in most cases DBTs are more telling of the nature of the participants than of the DUT.

I won't make any sweeping generalisations on this kind of topic but I can surely tell a Heineken from a Stella.

Not that I think either beers are particularly fine brews...far from it.
Old 15th July 2003, 10:08 PM   #109
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Can you tell within a split second whether this is a real instrument being played or a recording being played back?
For me, 99% of the time, yes. Live music doesn't sound brilliant, or liquid, or ethereal, or any of the other flowery reviewer adjectives for electronic devices. It just sounds... live.
Old 15th July 2003, 10:32 PM   #110
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

Quote:
It just sounds... live.
Precisely.

Now, the question is how on earth does this mechanism work?

Is it the more extended bandwidth, if any, we perceive from the life instrument?

Personally, I don't think so.

Then, by deduction, is it the recognisable harmonic correctness of the instrument that sets it apart from the recording?

That, and other factors, I think are closer to the truth.

I may have opened a can of worms here, I really don't mind, but I'm conviced that what Peter Daniel, Peter..well Analog-SA and many others hear are overtones that remind us of what the real instruments should sound like.

Now, if Peter Daniel would forgive me for speaking from experience: never tune a system for a particular result from a single recording, been there done that....it's a "faux pas".

I can 'splain it if Peter wants me to...

Cheers,

Hide this!Advertise here!