Anyone Collect Vintage Receivers? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th November 2010, 01:57 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Anyone Collect Vintage Receivers?

At one point, I had about 120 'em, but am now down to these:
My Favorite Receivers.

I'd like to learn how to maintain them and do some DIY cosmetic repair tips.

-- Chris
Old 22nd February 2016, 07:11 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I really like your site!!!!!!!!

I would LOVE getting some good 70s tuners,wheather they be just AM/FM radio or casette/8 track and radio...... (Or record player/8 track/cassette (Which I saw one but was sadly claimed @ salvation army a few weeks ago or I might have gotton it!))
Old 22nd February 2016, 11:13 PM   #3
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

Dude111, where are you located? I am clearing my shop (I retired), and usually what I do to old receivers is strip them of power transformers, knobs, maybe heat sinks, and toss the rest. They take up a lot of space otherwise. I still have a couple, like an old Pioneer or two, and a MArantz with that horizontal tuning control. (Like the edge or a rubber tired wheel sticking out the front from a slot)

If you are in the Lansing, Michigan area, I'll give you a couple. I am not shipping anything though.

Got some cassette transport assemblies from decks and boom boxes too.

Now and then I need some cathartic activity, and I find stripping down something like an old VCR to the screws is mindless and soothing. Cassette decks fall onto that list for me.
Old 26th February 2016, 09:59 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Ahhhh I would want to pay you for shipping then!!!!!! (Im nowhere near ya)

Thats good stripping the GOOD parts and re-using them! (Better than the crap made now and if you have VINTAGE STUFF,you can replace bad things with those and not lose quality)

Good for you!!
Old 26th February 2016, 11:38 AM   #5
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

VCRs are my favorite thing to strip, they are so mechanical. I developed a terrific collection of metric screws taking them apart. One time I needed a small common transistor, but didn;t have just what I wanted in my drawers. (And that doesn't happen often, I have a good selection). But I remembered I had just stripped a cassette deck earlier that day, and went to the dumpster and grabbed the board. Sure enough there was a transistor on it that was perfect for the job.

Looks like no free receivers for you, but if there is anyone in my area, offer still stands.
Old 26th February 2016, 02:34 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I have now retrofitted 2 Pioneer SX-838s -- DIY Test Equipment for Audio and Ham Radio Enthusiasts

These receivers were always blowing the output transistors, but the fix was pretty radical with an entirely new driver board and lateral mosfets. Sounds just great.

At some point the volume pot will have to be dealt with...
Old 26th February 2016, 03:08 PM   #7
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Jack,
Looks like a nice bench. You're teasing, have a picture of it?

I like your answer for the SX-828. I usually avoid most Pioneer products because the power supplies are often mounted upside down under the main chassis. They cook under there. I imagine you had to rebuild that as well?

-Chris
Old 26th February 2016, 11:32 PM   #8
benb is offline benb  United States
diyAudio Member

I have a Sansui 1000, does that count?
Old 27th February 2016, 02:38 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

or my Tandberg 2080? I'm still using it.
Old 27th February 2016, 03:54 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo

Looks like no free receivers for you, but if there is anyone in my area, offer still stands.
Ahhh thats OK buddy,thank you for thinking of me though

You have quite a hobby there!

Hide this!Advertise here!